Accountant Manager for Middle East
with knowledge of accounting system of The Czech Republic
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria, Iraq
Base: Erbil, Iraq (KRI) with frequent travel in region
Line Manager: Head of Systems and Operations
People in Need (PIN) is an international, non-profit organization providing humanitarian and development assistance in over 20 countries worldwide. PIN draws on extensive past experiences and lessons learned across development, emergency and post emergency contexts to design, implement and monitor quality programming. PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, Shelter and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million, engaging over 400 full- time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries. PIN started in Iraq in 2011, providing an early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes in Iraq focus mainly on Education, Wash, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s Iraq humanitarian response annual turnover is over $10 million, engaging over 80 full- time staff members across Erbil and Iraq field offices.
- With guidance and supervision from the HQ and in coordination with the Mission Economists and Head of System and Operations he/she will have a key role in leading the mission accounting units. He/She will coordinate the finance departments accounting teams, ensuring that PIN accounting practices, financial procedures and processes are in place. Supervision of the compliance of the processes and documentation with the local legal and administrative measures, with donors’ regulations and PIN internal rules.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Provide accounting and finance support for Regional Finance team supporting global operations and program activities with focus on the accounting part.
- Overall responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data
- Coordinate monthly close with Regional finance team and ensure project activities are timely recorded in the appropriate period and adequately supported in the accounting systems
- Serve as liaison between Mission Finance and HQ Finance team on resolving project actual expenses reported on budget vs actual reports; follow up on both corrective and preventive actions in accounting systems to remediate future occurrence.
- Review country office balance sheets accounts schedules and reconciliation for accuracy and audit readiness; provide timely feedback and support to regional finance team on both corrective and preventative actions and follow-up; manage intercompany accounts activities between corporate office and country locations.
- Work with the field and headquarters project staff to ensure organization and donor policies and procedures are adhered to and standard accounting practices are utilized.
- Local team management (approx. 10 national staff) and capacity building based on personal development plans
- Collaborate with Regional Finance and Grants and Contracts team to ensure compliance with Donor requirements as well as ensuring accounting best practices.
- Support country office finance team as needed for donor and statutory audits, and other donor request.
- Assist in reviewing donor report Review field financial reports for timely submission, proper recording of transactions and accurate utilization of the chart of accounts, including f in-kind donations
- Facilitate accounting closures
- Participate in monthly calls as a representative of the accounting section
- Coordinate with Regional and headquarters finance teams in developing responses to accounting closures, audit reports, propose action plans to remediate audit findings, and follow up to support implementation and ensure compliance for PIN guidelines.
- Assist in the development of local policies and procedures to meet global requirements.
- Travel to field offices as required
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong computer skills; knowledge of Czech accounting and work with Navision system is a plus.
- BA in Finance/Accounting; Masters in Accounting or equivalent preferred
- 2 years or more experience working in an international NGO environment is an asset
- Work independently with initiative to manage conflicting priorities, high volume and sensitive work flow.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to identify and resolve essential elements of complex project management issues; and demonstrated abilities to use judgment and decision-making skills to execute responsibilities.
- Ability to act in an advisory capacity with program staff on financial matters related to grants and cooperative agreements.
- Ability to analyse, define problems, and draw valid conclusions.
- Capability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Perform detail-oriented work with a high level of accuracy.
- Develop and implement effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills to effectively present information, strengthen capacity, respond to questions, and write reports, policies and procedures, and other critical documents.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected salary 2,800 – 3,000 EUR (before taxation, per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and a short cover letter in English via this link.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.