Chief of Party - USAID Recycling Plant Value Chain for Afghanistan
Job Title: Chief of Party
Starting date: June 2019
Contract Length: 12 months with possibility of extension
Exact Job Location: Mazar-e-Sharif, with travel to Kabul and operational areas based on security clearance
Reports To: Country Director
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistant in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 7 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long-term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN supports community-based approaches and maintains considerable field presence in Afghanistan. This approach is a core part of PIN, in order to ensure that our programming remains relevant and appropriate, and field exposure will form an important component of the work of all international staff.
In order to address the lack of sustainable job opportunities and revenue granting initiatives as well as to tackle the solid waste management problems, PIN is launching a four-year project titled “Recycling Plant Value Chain in Northern Afghanistan for Sustainable Jobs Creation Program”. The project is implemented in Mazar-e Sharif and Northern provinces of Afghanistan (Balkh, Samangan, Jawzjan, Sar-e-Pul, Baghlan, Faryab) and is funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
The aim of the project is establishing a commercially viable plastic recycling value chain, creating sustainable job opportunities for at least 1860 individuals. The project expects the following outcomes:
- Providing employment at 30 established/ newly created solid waste Collection Hubs
- Identification of vulnerable youth, IDPs, women and other marginalized groups which can be a part of the project within the value chain.
- Establishing a Recycling Plant, producing recycled plastic pellets, providing jobs at the Recycling Plant
- Establishing 60 Business Hubs which will purchase the plastic pellets for further processing into final products, tailor-made to individual needs, thus creating more jobs
The job holder, under the direct supervision of the Country Director is primarily responsible for overseeing the implementation and programmatic quality of the project. This includes detailed planning and coordination of activities related to the program and its outcomes, working closely with the in-country and HQ senior management team, specialists and consultants dedicated for the project, and support departments, liaising with the USAID focal points in Kabul, providing timely reports and updates on progress. The Chief of Party is responsible for strategic development of the project and represents the projects towards external stakeholders and potential business partners.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take responsibility for overall management of the project, manages its daily operations
- Represent the program to USAID and other stakeholders and potential business partners
- Ensures timely and smooth implementation of the project and its overall integrity, complying with national, organizational and donor regulations, policies and requirements
- Prepare work plans and follow-up budget for the project
- Maintain an overview of the project goals and objectives and provides regular reports on achievements; maintain and review accurate programmatic data
- Consolidate and prepare donor reports and internal reports
- Address implementation challenges and identify needs for technical support
Human Resource Management
- In consultation with the Country Director, plan HR needs, capacity building needs and ensure sufficient human resources for the programme to meet its objectives
- Supervise direct reports and manage their performance including capacity building and retention of the project staff
- Ensure project team abides by the security rules and regulations based on security and safety plans, SoPs and day to day advisory
- Liaise and report all security related issues to Country Director, and represent programme needs when deciding upon security framework changes within the senior management team.
Representation & Communications & Networking
- Ensure that PIN is well represented and visible in USAID and other appropriate fora
- Strengthen and maintain relationship/partnership with others involved in private sectors and job creation
- Supports fundraising efforts by building evidence from the USAID project which can be used towards new opportunities
- Liaise with HQ (esp. with Desk Officer on programmatic issues)
Documentation and Learning
- Ensure that the project properly retains learning and is reflected in to future planning and that all information is properly documented.
- Ensure that all official project documentation is properly stored and available for the future.
Requirements for Applicants:
Education and Experience:
- Third level education - MA/Diploma in Business Management or related field
- Minimum five years relevant overseas experience especially in fragile countries
- Proven experience in managing multi-million-dollar projects by the USAID
- Proven experience in business (private sector) development in developing countries – ESSENTIAL
- Experience in coordinating with other NGOs and local implementing partners
- Willingness to travel to project sites within Afghanistan (if security situation allows)
- Experience in networking with partners in business sector in Central Asia/ Afghanistan
- Experience in working in insecure environments
- Knowledge of Dari/ Pashto
Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
- Empathy with the organisation Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Ability to find problems and recommend solutions
- Methodical and thorough
- Advanced knowledge of computer applications i.e. Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong budget management skills
- Ability to motivate and capacity building of team
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both as part of a team & independently
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity (esp. gender and ethnicity)
- Tolerance and acceptance of diversity
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian and development organization;
- Flexible and challenging working environment with room for personal growth;
- Salary according to PIN salary scale and HR policies;
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work and regional travel every 3 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of cost of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel medical insurance.
Kindly send us your CV and a short cover letter in English via this link.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.