Deputy Area Director - Programmes, Northeast Syria
Starting date: September, 2019
Contract duration: 12 months
Country Programme: Syrian Response
Base: Kobane, Syria
Line Manager: Area Director for Northeast Syria
ABOUT THE MISSION:
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sectors such as food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 400 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under the supervision of the Area Director, the Deputy Area Director for programmes will supervise and provide leadership for expanding, multi-sector program team. The Deputy Area Director – Programmes is responsible for ensuring high quality implementation of a wide range of programming across emergency to early recovery contexts:
- Food Security programme (food vouchers, multipurpose cash assistance, cash for work);
- Livelihoods programme (technical and vocational education and trainings, market recovery);
- Child Protection programme (Child Friendly Spaces in informal camps);
- WASH programme (rehabilitation of water infrastructure, hygiene promotion);
- Shelter programme (rehabilitation of private shelters and health facilities, distribution of shelter & NFI materials)
The Deputy Area Director – Programmes reports to Area Director for North East Syria. He/she has delegated management responsibility for Livelihoods Program Manager, Food security Program Manager, WASH program manager, Shelter Program Manager, Lead Engineer, Protection and Education Program Manager and Emergency Program Manager (temporary role).
S/he liaises with Head of Programs and other key support staff.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise and coordinate all implemented programmes at regional level;
- Contribute towards conceptualizing, designing and development of new programmes and proposal’s in line with program strategy;
- Ensure all programmes in North East Syria are designed and managed in line with quality standards and guidelines and PIN policies and strategy. Ensure all programmes deliver results as per donors’ contracts;
- Line manage and support all Programme Managers and provide technical guidelines;
- Work with Area Director and Senior Management Team to develop/update the organisation’s Country Strategy Plan through context and programme review, wider consultation and stakeholder engagement;
- Coordinate the programme activities across programmes, sectors and approaches supporting staff and partners and ensuring complementary approaches;
- Undertake monitoring visits to programme areas and provide feedback to key senior staff and partners;
- Coordinate effective programmes linkages with MEAL department;
- Ensure programme managers submit high quality donor reports and organisational reports on time;
- Conduct with Area Director regular reviews of the programmes to analyse strengths and weakness and provide support for improvement;
- Share responsibilities with Area Director for representation and discussions with key partners, coordination fora, local authorities etc.;
- Promote synergies between the programmes and ensure overall coherence and relevance of multi-sectoral response;
- Ensure that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future programming and that all key lessons and information are documented;
- Guide Technical program experts visiting the region;
- Lead the region as acting Area Director as required.
LIVING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R. Kobane is main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
- The curfew is not imposed, international staff can freely move within its administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver. Guesthouse building in Kobane has five independent apartments; each of them contains 3 bedrooms and a living room, separate kitchen, bathroom and internet.
- General security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations. Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses. There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
PEOPLE IN NEED OFFERS:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN's policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN;
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).