Deputy WASH Programme Manager
Starting date: September, 2019
Contract duration: 6 months
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Kobane, Syria
Line Manager:WASH Programme Manager
About the mission:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighboring countries.
About the role:
As PIN scales up WASH programming in Northern Syria under multiple funding streams, we are seeking a new staff member to complete our WASH technical team. With guidance and supervision from the WASH Programme Manager (PM) and other senior management staff, the Deputy WASH Programme Manager will have a vital role in supporting the WASH PM in ensuring timely and quality implementation of PIN’s overall WASH portfolio. S/he will ensure that programme delivery and administration is in line with rigorous technical and donor compliance guidelines. Based in the field, s/he will act as a key point of liaison between the Senior Management Team and the field teams, ensuring that WASH team members at all levels have a shared vision of WASH programme objectives, standards, priorities, and challenges. The ideal candidate for this position is an enthusiastic and diligent team member, who has at least one year’s experience in delivering humanitarian / development programming in WASH or related fields. S/he is a strong communicator who is able to sensitively navigate a multi-cultural working environment, and demonstrate resilience in challenging field environments. S/he is dedicated to delivering quality assistance and accountability to affected populations, in line with humanitarian best practices.
- Support the WASH PM to ensure overall quality and timely implementation of PIN’s WASH activities in Northern Syria;
- As delegated by the WASH PM, conduct field visits to key sites to supervise field teams and ensure technical quality and adherence to key standards and processes;
- Assist the WASH PM in the development and regular updating of implementation plans
- Assist the WASH PM in the development and regular updating of procurement plans and liaise with relevant support departments to ensure that activities are carried out according to plan,
- Assist the WASH PM as required in regularly updating budget forecasts for project activities and staffing, and monitoring budget vs actual on a regular basis.
- Participate in the development and supervision of technical WASH assessments as required;
- Participate in data/information collection, and contribute to WASH and multi-sectoral proposal development by providing field specific context analysis, technical sector specific analysis, beneficiary information, etc.;
- Participate in identifying opportunities to increase scope and quality of PIN’s WASH programming;
- Assist the WASH PM in ensuring that feedback from programme participants is captured and used to make real-time adaptations to programming, and fed into new programme design.
Project and Contract Administration
Oversee timely uploading of relevant programme documentation for approval by the WASH PM, senior Management team and finance teams, including technical BoQs, payment planning documents, beneficiary signature lists, contractor handover reports, Payment Approval Forms, etc. ;
- Prepare high quality and timely narrative reporting for the WASH PM’s and Grants Management department
- Supervise field staff to ensure timely and comprehensive archiving of programme documents
- Prepare Tender documents with all annexes, specifications, related contract documents and Requests for Proposals, participate on evaluation and selection of suppliers
- Support the PM in administering contracts, prepare checklists, and oversees the day-to-day progress of contractors.
WASH Team Supervision
- Together with WASH PM acts as a key point of liaison between the Senior Management Team and the field teams, ensuring that WASH team members at all levels have a shared vision of WASH programme objectives, priorities, standards, principles, and challenges.
- Support the capacity building of WASH field team members in priority areas, as identified in conjunction with the WASH PM;
Requirements and Contractual Conditions
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 1 year’s professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in WASH or related programming, and familiarity with relevant WASH and humanitarian standards and guidelines;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate organizational and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, Arabic is a significant advantage
- Proven ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment, with appropriate sensitivity to social and cultural norms;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R, as per PIN Syria’s International Staff Manual.
- Kobane is the main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
- At the time of writing, a curfew is not imposed and international staff can freely move within Kobane’s administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver.
- PIN has a large guesthouse building in Kobane, comprised of five independent apartments containing 3-4 rooms, separate Kitchen, bathroom and internet.
- The general security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations.
- Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses.
- There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN's policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter via this email. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).