Education Programme Manager for Northwest Syria
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syrian Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq (with frequent travels within the region)
Line Manager: Deputy Field Coordinator for Northwest Syria
About the PIN:
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sectors such as food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 400 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
General Position summary:
PIN supports school-aged children and youth at schools, self-learning centres and TVETs, providing them with quality formal and non-formal education, recreational activities and basic psychosocial support. At the same time, PIN closely works with education staff and actors, enhancing their capacities to provide quality education, manage schools and coordinate with relevant actors..
With supervision from the Deputy Field Coordinator and technical guidance from the Head of Programmes and PIN´s Education in Emergencies Advisor, the Education Programme Manager will have a key role in leading a programme team (consisting of a Project Manager, Deputy Programme Managers and Officers) and field teams based inside Syria, ensuring overall quality of the education programming in all PIN’s areas of operation in Northwest Syria.
The Education Program manager report directly to the NWS Deputy Field Coordinator. S/he strongly coordinating with support department (HR, Finance, Logistics) on all projects and team members relevant matters.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s Education programming in Northwest Syria (remote management);
- Participate in identifying opportunities to increase scope and quality of PIN´s education programmes;
- Contribute to the development of PIN’s Syria Education strategy
- With support of the Grants Department develop programme proposals and ensure timely and quality reporting;
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator, Head of Programmes and M&E Manager to ensure that all education activities are being appropriately monitored and evaluated
- Promote synergies and coordination across all PIN’s areas of operation among Education actors. Maintain up to date knowledge of the overall situation in Education in Northwest Syria
- Provide inputs to, and advocate for, mainstreaming of Protection and Do No Harm principles
- Ensure that Education activities are adequately budgeted and accurately spent;
- Follow up on procurement and logistical aspects of the projects and managed in accordance with PIN’s and donor policies and guidelines;
- Supervise and build capacity of the programme teams in Gaziantep and Syria If situation allows, travel to other PIN’s offices to ensure effective and efficient implementation of education programming and standardization of activities across offices.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 3 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- At least 1 year of experience in Education programming;
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
People in Need offers:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary 2800 EUR per diems included);
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your resume and motivation letter in English (for this vacancy we are not accepting any other application) via this link.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).