Field Coordinator in North-East Syria
Starting date: June, 2019
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Kobane, Syria
Line Manager:Country Director – Syria Response
About the mission
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sector such as food security, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more then 300 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria.
Program / Department Summary
PIN has been operating in Syria since 2013. Our first programing was establish in North West Syria and is coordinated remotely till present day from Gaziantep in Turkey.
In October 2016 PIN expanded its operations in North East Syria region with a staff over 200 people including 11 international members. For this area PIN’s operational office is in Kobane with field offices in Amouda, Manbej and Raqqa. Part of our operations is supported from office in Erbil.
PIN’s key programming areas include a combination of early recovery and immediate humanitarian response programs in order to:
- Improve water service delivery and ensuring equitable access to Water and Hygiene services, in urban and rural areas;
- Improve food security
- Improve access to shelter
- Improve economic recovery
- Improve children psychosocial wellbeing
PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, OFDA, FFP, DFID. The humanitarian portfolio contains two large consortia funded by DFID and OFDA.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R. Kobane is main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
The curfew is not imposed, international staff can freely move within its administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver. Guesthouse building in Kobane has five independent apartments, each of them contains 3-4 rooms, separate Kitchen, bathroom and internet.
General security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations. Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses. There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
About the role
Field Coordinator for NES is part of Syria Country Management Team (together with Country Director, Head of Systems & Operations, Field Coordinator for NWS, Security Advisor, Head of Programmes and members of HQ Syria desk). The Field Coordinator for NES is under direct line management of Country Director and is responsible for coordinating, consolidating, and ensuring smooth implementation of program and operations’ activities and adherence to logistic, human resource, administration and security procedures. At the regional/district level, the Field Coordinator represents PIN to relevant stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensuring representation at field level with local authorities and humanitarian actors;
- Contributes to strategic development of overall Syria Country Program and leads the strategy for development of new projects relevant to needs and contextual development and in line with PIN’s and donors policies;
- Oversee projects implementation with support from Deputy Field Coordinator for programmes;
- Oversees security management and ensures that all relevant SoPs and contingency plans are up to date
- Oversee support services (HR, finance and logistics) in all bases and ensures that PIN complies with all policies and procedures
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
Education and Experience:
- At least 3-5 years of management experience of emergency projects in difficult and challenging environments, with at least 1 year of experience in Field Coordinator position;
- Previous experience with managing large teams and budgets;
- Previous working experience from Middle East, particularly the Syrian crisis is advantage;
Skills and Personality Requirements:
- Rigorous and with high attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and prescience skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm despite setbacks, managing and meeting deadlines;
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness and willingness to travel to remote places in the field, maintaining good relationships with all members of staff;
- Fluent in English, Arabic would be an added value.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected salary expected salary 3,500 EUR (before taxation, per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work; plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel medical insurance.
How to Apply:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.