Food Security Programme Manager for Northeast Syria
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months but shorter assignment can be discussed
Country Programme: Syria
Base: Kobane, North East Syria with frequent travels to Manbij and Raqqa
Line Manager: Deputy Field Coordinator for Northeast Syria
About the PIN:
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sectors such as food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 400 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
PIN’s key programming sectors in NES include a combination of early recovery and immediate humanitarian response programs in order to:
- Improve water service delivery and ensuring equitable access to Water and Hygiene services, in urban and rural areas;
- Improve food security;
- Improve access to shelter;
- Improve economic recovery;
- Improve psychosocial wellbeing of children.
General Position summary:
With supervision from the Deputy Field Coordinator and technical guidance from the Head of Programmes and PIN´s Knowledge & Learning department, the Food Security Programme Manager will have a key role in leading a programme team in Manbij and Raqqa, implementation and ensuring overall quality of the mainly cash-based food security programming in all PIN’s areas of operation in Northeast Syria.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s cash-based food security programming in Northeast Syria;
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping to the programme team
- Conduct regular field monitoring visits to key sites to draw recommendations for improvements in technical quality and adherence to key standards and processes;
- Prepare high quality and timely narrative reporting for donors;
- Develop implementation plans that will set out future activities and track progress to date on outputs and activities;
- Develop procurement plans and liaise with relevant support departments Complete and regularly update budget forecasts for project activities and staffing, and monitor budget vs actual
- Develop and maintain an emergency response plan for the Food Security sector
- In cooperation with MEAL team, develop and regularly update the MEAL plan, ensure accountability to affected populations is in place and that cash-based food security activities are appropriately monitored and evaluated and feedback is reflected in current programming;
- Coordinate closely with the FSL WG and Cash WG, consortium partners and other FSL/cash actors
- Manage a team of about 30 national project staff and recruit additional staff as needed;
- Assess training and development needs within the programme team
- Participate in data/information collection, and contribute to food security and multi-sectoral proposals Contribute to development and updating of PIN’s Food Security Strategy;
- Ensure that food security activities are adequately Maintain up to date knowledge of food security and market related issues in Northeast Syria
- In coordination with NWS Food security team contribute to development of relevant tools, SOPs and technical standards;
- Ensure feedback and learning is used when designing new interventions.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 3 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in Food Security programming;
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R. Kobane is main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
- The curfew is not imposed, international staff can freely move within its administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver. Guesthouse building in Kobane has five independent apartments; each of them contains 3-4 rooms, separate Kitchen, bathroom and internet.
- General security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations. Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses. There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary 2900 EUR per diems included);
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- 5 days of paid R&R every 90 days plus travel allowance;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).