Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager for North-East Syria
Starting date: July/August, 2019
Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Kobane, Syria
Line Manager:NES Field Coordinator
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on addressing the basic needs of vulnerable families in food security, WASH, shelter & settlements, and education sectors, in addition to early recovery and livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries. An experienced team of staff working in Syria are supported and led by the main office for Syria response which is in Erbil.About the role:
With guidance and supervision from the Field Coordinator and other senior management staff, the MEAL manager for North-East Syria (NES) will have a key role in leading and capacity building the M&E teams and directly line managing Deputy M&E Manager to ensure effective coordination of tasks and activities. MEAL manager supports Programme Managers in developing and maintaining updated project-specific M&E plans, tools and frameworks and preparation of monthly evaluation and planning meetings.
MEAL manager is responsible for ensuring that M&E reporting and data sets are in line with mission-wide reporting requirements, in good quality and complying with reporting timelines. MEAL manager supervises development and implementation of the Complaints Response Mechanism and engages with programme teams in preparing and implementing other beneficiary feedback mechanisms.
Duties and responsibilities:
Planning and Development of M&E processes
- Supports Programme Managers in developing and maintaining updated project-specific M&E Plans, tools and frameworks in line with programmatic needs.
- Supports PMs in preparation of monthly evaluation and planning meetings
- Ensure that M&E reporting and data sets are in line with mission-wide reporting requirements, in good quality and complying with reporting timelines. Ensure that M&E activities are applied across all projects, and in line with what is stipulated in the M&E Plans
- Manage M&E Team across all offices, directly line managing Deputy M&E Manager, Provide new staff with M&E induction training
- Builds the capacity of programme and M&E staff in technical skills, planning and understanding of the value of M&E
Accountability, knowledge sharing and organisational learning
- Supervises development and implementation of the Complaints Response Mechanism, including visibility and information sharing, receipt and logging of complaints, and provision of appropriate responses to beneficiaries and community level stakeholders
- Engages with programme teams in preparing and implementing other beneficiary feedback mechanisms
- Manages and maintains regional institutional knowledge on Third Party Monitors (TPM)
- In close coordination and cooperation with HoP and M&E Manager NWS, takes lead on preparing and organizing learning and information sharing workshops between M&E and Program teams
- Supervise logging and follow up on M&E related feedback in Program Feedback Tracker
- Engages with programme teams, HoP, NWS M&E Manager to support preparation of briefs and presentations for dissemination of project lessons
Data Management & Reporting
- In close coordination and cooperation with HoP and NWS M&E Manager, contributes towards review, revision and development of data collection tools, methodologies, and standardized reporting templates
- Develops analytical reports from region M&E data
- Ensures that M&E reports are submitted to Reporting Officer in standardised form for preparation of mission-wide reports (data collation).
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 3 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization with at least 1 year of experience as M&E manager;
- Demonstrated experience in leading the M&E development and roll-out for multi-sector programming in complex emergencies;
- Demonstrated experience in leading monitoring and evaluations for core donors (ECHO, USAID, DFID, etc.);
- Experience with team management and supervision, interest and experience in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, Arabic is a significant advantage;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Kobane and eligible for R&R. Kobane is main overnight duty station for all international staff based in North East Syria. The town is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for social life outside the work hours.
- The curfew is not imposed, international staff can freely move within its administrative boundaries either alone or with a PIN duty driver. Guesthouse building in Kobane has five independent apartments; each of them contains 3-4 rooms, separate Kitchen, bathroom and internet.
- General security situation outside Kobane is less secure however considered stable, allowing international staff freely move between all our offices without major restrictions according to PIN security recommendations. Mobile phones and cellular service are widely available. Internet is available in all PIN’s offices and guesthouses. There are a number of health services available with medevac mechanism for INGO’s members. There is reasonable access to most of the consumer goods. Travel to field sites will be required.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary 2900 EUR (per diems included);
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- 5 days of paid R&R every 90 days plus travel allowance;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).