Operation manager for humanitarian programmes in Syria
Contract duration: 12 -18 months
Country Programme: Syrian Response
Base: Middle East
Line Manager: Area Director
About PIN:PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million, engaging over 400 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
Operation Manager will be responsible for providing technical support, guidance and supervision to support departments of PIN’s NWS response (HR, finance and logistics). The Operation Manager will ensure that procedures and processes are in place, unified, and in line with PIN’s and donor guidelines. The selected candidate will form a part of PIN’s Senior Management Team, and will work jointly with the HoSO of Syrian mission, Area Director, the managers of support departments (HR, finance and logistics), and Programme Managers in contributing towards development and improvement of programme quality, oversight and impact in our mission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that Systems & Operations support that procedures and regulations are implemented in full transparency and in accordance with donors’ and PIN’s rules;
- In coordination with Finance Manager oversee the NWS hub economy and in coordination with All Syria Financial team contribute to all mission economy including identification of gaps, financial and procedural risks, and provision of appropriate solutions;
- Ensure standardization of processes/procedures related to operations of finance, HR and logistics departments;
- In coordination with the Area Director oversee the operations of the HR department and ensure implementation of relevant national and international staff policies and their implementation by the HR Manager/Officers;
- Ensure adequate staffing of all supervised departments in order to achieve efficient delivery of People in Need’s (PIN) country program;
- Ensure that allegations of breaches of the Code of Conduct are reported, investigated and concluded swiftly;
- Provide technical support and guidance to Logisticians to ensure effective operations and coordination between the office management, fleet management, procurement, stock and assets management;
- Oversee the budgets of support departments, improve needs planning and coordination, and contribute to planning needs for new projects with regard to support departments;
- Ensure that key support policies are continuously updated as required and appropriate to the context;
- Ensure the NWS mission compliance check-list is regularly updated and monitor the progress on the action points;
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules and regulations in terms of visas, tax, and labour law.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Significant previous experience with managing systems, logistics, administration and HR
- Experience with finance management of international donors
- Experience with team management and supervision
- Experience of working within a humanitarian and/or development organization, including in developing and delivering systems which are compliant to EuropeAID, DFID, USAID and/or UN procedures, is preferred
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Working experience with an accounting and economic software
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).