Programmes Quality Director for Syria
Starting date: June 2021
Contract duration: 2 years (with the possibility of extension)
Country Programme: Whole of Syria (WoS)
Base: Erbil, Iraq with travels within the region
Line Manager: Country Director – Iraq and Syria
About the mission:
People in Need (PIN) delivers vital assistance in Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sectors including food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct and remote modes of implementation and more than 400 employees. Its regional office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams in the region. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, ENI (EC), BHA (USAID), SDC (Swiss Development Cooperation).
About the role:
The Programmes Quality Director (PQD) is part of Syria Core Management Team (together with Country Director, Area Directors, Security Advisor, Head of Finance, and members of HQ Syria desk). S/he oversees efficient programme delivery, quality and impact of the projects on a Whole of Syria (WoS) level. Together with the Country Director and Area Directors, the PQD represents PIN to donors and partners for Programme and Grants related communication, ensuring that PIN is recognised for its field experience.
The PQD reports to PIN Country Director for Iraq and Syria. S/he has delegated management responsibility for the Grants Manager, Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator and Accountability Coordinator. The PQD works closely with the Area Directors and senior programme staff managed by the Deputy Area Directors to ensure a high quality of implementation in complex environments.
The PQD is directly responsible:
1) Whole of Syria (WoS) Programme Coordination
- Oversee project development and ensure quality of project proposals
- Provide support to overall implementation at the WoS level
- In coordination with hub-based, coordinate on programme quality and promote harmonized approaches across different locations and sectors in line with PIN’s strategy
- Supervise fulfilling of contractual obligations towards the donor according to donor guidelines and in line with project proposals
- Supervise the grants team to ensure quality of proposals and external reporting.
2) Ensuring quality of PIN programmes and compliance in WoS response and broader PIN strategy of PIN.
- Oversee development and compliance with programme sectorial strategies
- In cooperation with Deputy Area Directors, ensures proper implementation of cross-cutting themes across the country programme
- Mainstreaming of protection, gender, age, disability into all phases of PCM, overall programmes
- Overseeing project & programme accountability
- Supervises and support Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator to develop M&E strategy to ensure coherence, efficiency, access to and utilization of data for donors and to inform and improve programming
3) Representation of PIN programmes in WoS response towards partners and donors.
- Lead programme discussions at the WoS level, and input on regional level discussions with current and potential donors on new possible funding opportunities
- Lead regular discussion, in coordination with Area Directors and Field Programme Directors, with donors regarding overall programme implementation, risks, challenges, lessons learnt
4) Coordination with Systems and Operations Department
- Ensuring policies and procedures are in place and well distributed among programme staff, advocating for programmes in formulation and implementation of new policies in accordance with donor and PIN regulations
- Coordination of project spending updates on WoS level
5) Staff management and capacity development
- Continuously work on capacity development of senior programme management staff
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 5 years of management experience of humanitarian implementation in complex environments/protracted crises.
- Experience of working across teams and structures to achieve excellent results.
- Experience in at least two of the following sectors: WASH, Food Security, Education, Shelter, Protection
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- A dynamic approach with a passion for good coordination, quality, capacity building, and innovation.
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem-solving skills;
- A strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- A high standard of integrity and professional conduct
- Previous experience with managing large teams and budgets;
- Previous working experience from the Middle East.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is an unaccompanied.
- Private accommodation or within a shared PIN Guesthouse.
- Security situation in Erbil is generally good with a potential for a good social life with restaurants, bars and gyms and a large expat community;
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems included): 3,600-3,800 EUR, depending on the seniority grade;
- Accommodation allowance of 600 EUR for those seeking private premises.
- Opportunities for learning, training and capacity development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus regional flights according to PIN's policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Travel health insurance and 24/7 medical helpdesk;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (max. three pages) and a short cover letter (one page) in English via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).