We help the most affected of economic impacts of the Covid-19 epidemic in the Czech RepublicApr 6, 2020
In response to economic consequences caused by the coronavirus pandemic, People in Need (PIN) has launched an SOS Czech Republic fundraising campaign to assist the most vulnerable, including entrepreneurs, single parents, the socially unprotected, the insolvent, and those who have lost their jobs. As part of this program, PIN is strengthening its team of experts on debt counseling and education services, which are currently facing high demand from families, teachers, and at-risk communities.
"Personally, I strongly believe that we will overcome the current crisis,” says PIN Executive Director Simon Panek. “Even so, there will be some people who find themselves in distress and who will need urgent help. For that reason we launched today the SOS Czech Republic fundraising initiative to help victims of the coronavirus crisis."
Panek adds: “We want to reach out to those who are losing their jobs, their businesses, and those who are at risk of debt distress and major social and family problems. PIN also helps schoolchildren and parents who are unable to do homework online. Additionally, PIN works to fight the threat of indebtedness by providing advice and by negotiating with government officials, Members of Parliament, and banks to develop strategies to systematically prevent debt growth.”
“In the most urgent cases, PIN is working with food banks and other organizations to provide food aid to families who are not eligible for support from the state aid network. As always, our goal is to provide meaningful and impactful help wherever we can.”
WE HELP PEOPLE IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE AND DEBT
To meet a 10-fold increase in demand for our services, PIN has expanded its helpline for people in debt and financial and social distress. We are also working to expand our team of debt advisors.
We are communicating with government officials and Members of Parliament about draft amendments to laws that would help lower debt burdens, reduce the risk of asset seizure, and bring relief to people who are economically impacted by the crisis. Additionally, we have prepared a Draft Proposal for Deferment of Asset Seizure for People in Insolvency, and are working to urge the country’s largest loan providers to delay loan repayments.
WE SUPPORT HOME AND REMOTE EDUCATION / WE SUPPORT TEACHERS
- PIN has made more than 270 audio-visual lessons and 1,150 teaching resources available to teachers and the general public, materials that are used by more than 3,700 schools annually. In March, the number of movies launched on PIN's education portal (JSNS.cz) was 10-times that of February. Moreover, our lecturers regularly publish tips and recommendations on how to work with the materials at JSNS.cz.
- We also support home education for children who do not have internet access by connecting them with schools and teachers, providing computers, and arranging for volunteer tutoring.
- PIN has conducted an extensive survey among families of socially unprotected children and issued a set of recommendations for teachers and educational institutions on how to work with them.
- PIN launched an online library and e-learning for teachers and is preparing special webinars for educators. For instance, more than 1,100 participants enrolled in the recent online Climate Change course.
WE HELP PEOPLE IN SOCIAL DISTRESS
- PIN provides social and educational services to approximately 3,000 people in more than 50 cities and towns in the Czech Republic, and our services have a measurable impact on the lives of more than 10,000 people. Key areas of focus include the regions of Prague and Central Bohemia, Usti nad Labem, Liberec, Karlovy Vary, Chomutov, Plzen, Olomouc, and Jeseniky.)
- In the most urgent cases, PIN provides food aid and helps people navigate their options and responsibilities during this period of home quarantine.
- PIN also works to connect vulnerable populations to state services. For instance, we help the socially unprotected and the elderly access public services online.