Civil Engineer, short term roster position
Country Programme: Ukraine
Line Manager: Programme Implementation Director
About the Ukrainian Programme of People in Need:
PIN has been working in Ukraine since 2014, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities in Government Controlled Areas (GCA) and Non-government control areas (NGCA). Due to the escalation of the war in 2022, programmes for war-affected communities focus mainly on WASH, Shelter, Protection, including recovery, among other pressing needs. PIN’s contribution to the Ukrainian humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of close to $100 million, engaging full-time staff members across Ukraine.
About the role:
This position is looking for professionals to be included in a pool of experts for rapid deployment, short term (at least 4 weeks) gap filling position for Ukraine country program, work will be implemented mostly in-country. Successful candidates would be included in a roster of staff, who would be called upon based on need in country to cover specific tasks with local teams.
Under overall supervision of the Program Implementation Director, Civil Engineer work closely with Shelter Technical Lead and provides technical support and supports implementation of project activities, in particular for emergency projects related to repairs and rebuilding of family houses and communal buildings, bomb shelters and others structures.
- Conducting technical assessments of project sites, designs, and specifications.
- Drafting or revising existing bills of quantities (BoQs) for civil works.
- Ensuring compliance with national building codes and standards, as well as environmental and safety regulations.
- Reviewing and evaluating bids from contractors and suppliers.
- Providing technical supervision and guidance to construction teams on site.
- Inspecting and approving executed works and issuing completion certificates.
Areas of implementation are mostly in eastern Ukraine. For applicants without prior working experience in development and emergency context relevant quality standards for implementation of projects in this context will be provided on HQ level, incl. Security and safety training.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- May attend external meeting with donors and coordinating for a, such as Clusters and working groups.
- Support the process of infrastructural and civil rehabilitation at all stages of the project implementation, technical supervision;
- Ensure timely planning in accordance with existing procedures and work plan;
- Support for reporting on the progress of implementation and execution of works;
- In close cooperation with field Support the procurement process - in particular the preparation of requests for relevant materials, equipment and works with the definition of specifications and quantities, agreeing on the characteristics with the East Region Director;
- If necessary, provides support during the examination of engineering documentation;
- Ensures project implementation in accordance with legal and state norms, guaranteeing the use of standards in each case;
- Conduct regular visits to facilitate quality checks of work execution and provide consultations if necessary;
- AVK 5 software package; work together with PIN Estimator' team to prepare tender documentation;
- Support in preparation and processing of project documentation: reports, tables and other supporting documentation;
- Quality control and verification of project documentation, building and construction works and project-costs documentation;
- Monitor the proper receipt and use of transferred equipment and services;
- Ensure compliance with minimum international standards in humanitarian activities;
- Provide identification and referral of additional needs;
- Establish professional relationships with other departments of the organization and coordinate activities with other projects.
- Engineering degree, civil engineering degree with experience in creating or restoring residential areas, such as houses or flats
- AVK 5 software package; work together with PIN Estimator' team to prepare tender documentation
- At least 3 years of experience working in the field of WASH construction
- Experience with implementation of projects in countries with development or humanitarian context preferred, but training will be provided for candidates outside without prior experience working in humanitarian/development setting
- English language must be fluent in speaking and writing
- Ability to speak Ukrainian language is an advantage
What we offer:
This position will be based on Framework contract for service provision with agreed salary when in country and agreed daily/hourly rate for remote work. PIN covers costs related to traveling abroad such as train tickets, accommodation, medical check-ups, vaccinations, travel insurance, etc.
Security situation in UkraineHumanitarian workers continue to operate throughout Ukraine, although the front line areas and settlements in the vicinity to it are being shelled almost constantly, and main cities are being quite regularly targeted with long-range weapons that include missiles and UAVs. PIN security SOPs require PIN staff to proceed to shelter should the risk level be assessed by the Security Department as the highest (launch of missiles or drones) and remain there until the air raid siren is cancelled, which cumulatively can be several times a week, occasionally for several hours at a time (although shorter periods are as well occurring). At the moment both military and civilian objects are being targeted, including in the west of Ukraine, which still is considered a safer part of the country. While Kyiv enjoys relatively strong air defence systems that are intercepting most of the missiles and UAVs, other regions are covered much less significantly which results in bigger damage. Outside of the areas in the vicinity to the contact line, services such as medical care, shops, public transportation as well as restaurants or leisure facilities remain operational.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position, send us your CV and short cover letter via our application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and is committed to promoting the welfare of children and adults with whom People in Need involves. People in Need expects all staff to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp). People in Need Staff will undertake the appropriate level of training.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.