Country Director in Philippines
Location: Manila, Philippines , with frequent travel to other regions of the country - depending on assignments
Starting date: according to availability
Duration: 24 months with possibility of extension
Line-manager: Regional Director for Asia at PIN HQ in Prague
About the role
The Country Director (CD) is the main representative of PIN in the country and is responsible for strategic leadership of the Country Program (CP). CD has a close oversight of programs, operations, communications and advocacy, and security. Many of the CD's responsibilities consists of medium- and long-term activities, such as strategic planning, establishment and maintenance of managerial procedures and staff development through supporting, motivating and engaging the country program’s staff. The CD is also responsible for internal and external representation, fundraising and country program’s economy.
Reporting relations and Interdependencies with other functions
The CD reports to Asia Regional Director. The counterpart of the CD at HQ level is the Desk Officer (DO). CD consults with DO on all decisions of strategic importance and collaborate extensively in the management of the country program. CD line manages Head of Programs, Head of Systems and Operations, Communications and Advocacy Officer and MEAL Coordinator. CD leads the Senior Management Team (Head of Programs, Head of Systems and Operations).
The CD is main counterpart for donors, government and regional administration stakeholders, new partnerships, other agencies, etc.
- Develop and implement the Country Program in accordance with the strategy and priorities of PIN in the Philippies
- Gives strategic direction to the PIN presence in the country; the CD is responsible for the formulation of a country’s strategy in line with the RDD strategy, as well as its implementation and spreading it out through the team;
- Together with the Senior Management Team (SMT), provide the direction and ensure shared vision
- With support from the HQ, ensures that the required human, financial and other necessary resources are available and used for their intended purpose;
- In collaboration with the Regional Head of Programme Quality and Head of Programs , she/he initiates new programmes and interventions in new sectors;
- Strengthens “a local identity” of the PIN Philippines country programme and ensures compliance with local rules and regulations;
- Ensures the relevance of PIN’s presence in the country; follows country development, politics and
- Trends within the donor environment;
- Lead the Country Program team ensuring the transparency of decision-making processes and overall coordination of all its operations, building and maintaining strong, committed and engaged team with high morale
- Build and strengthen PIN’s position and reputation in Philippines
- Apply leadership models and tools in changing context
- Establish effective organizational structure and communication protocols
- Supervise the organization’s programs ensuring compliance with internal and external procedures.
- Lead medium-term and long-term strategic planning, organizational and staff capacity development, establish and maintain managerial procedures, recording and putting in use of lessons learned and capacity building
- Oversee the risk register updates and mitigation; report CP status to HQ on regular basis, using the established reporting tools and channels
- Promotes team spirit, a culture of respect, personal responsibility, transparency and openness;
- Ensures all staff are aware, understand and comply with relevant PIN policies and rules, including the Code of Conduct;
- Together with the RD, she/he ensures that the HR structure is relevant to a scope of the country programme;
- Is responsible for the recruitment of key positions at the national level and contributes to the recruitment done at the HQ level (international staff)
- Ensures coherent policy towards recruitment is implemented, oversees remuneration and benefits across the country program and its compliance with local/international legislation.
- External relations, representation and fundraising
- Represents PIN at meetings with government partners and media, regional and local authorities, donors, local agencies, clusters, coordination bodies and other relevant stakeholders, at all levels of program implementation and PIN positioning
- Network among donors and key stakeholders to actively seek funding opportunities in development sector.
- Contributes to development of new programs or projects, and in line with PIN country strategy and PIN Relief and Development Department strategy.
- Ensure that all security and safety rules (SOPs) are set-up, followed and regularly reviewed
- In cooperation with Security Focal point and PIN HQ security department ensure that security measures are adequate to situation
- Incident management: participate and/ or lead critical security interventions
- Follow the investigation policies and internal procedures.
Key competencies and skills
- At least five years of progressive relevant experience in senior management roles, incl. Country Director role
- Experience in early recovery and development programming, preferably in the South-Asian region
- University degree in relevant field
- Understanding of the nexus and experience in its implementation
- Solid leadership and staff management skills, with a record of managing large, diverse teams and contributing to the capacity building to national and international staff
- Excellent networking, partnership building and representation skills
- Proven track in leading the organization through change/ transition
- Experience in management, fundraising, project development, donor liaison
- Knowledge of institutional donor environment, proven experience with donor relations, proposal development and external communications
- Experience with strategic program planning, project cycle management, knowledge of the institutional donor environment, including the EC, ECHO, DFID, USAID, UNICEF etc.
- Excellent communication skills, excellent spoken and written English
- Dynamic and result-oriented with ability to organize and plan effectively, responsible and systematic
- Reliable and self-reliant personality
- Critical analysis and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- Cultural sensitivity
- Strong ability and willingness to transfer knowledge
- Willing to travel extensively within the country (long distances)
- Salary range: according to PIN salary scale
- Type of contract: Contract on providing services or Czech EU contract (for EU citizens only)
- Work experience with professional and flexible International NGO, the largest in Central-Eastern Europe
- Possibility to obtain family policy
- Accommodation allowance
- 2 flights to home country (or equivalent) per year
- Costs of visas and vaccination covered
- 25 days of annual leave per year
- Medical helpdesk (provided in English)
- Travel insurance (covers health care outside of country of origin, incl. repatriation)
- 10-days Induction Training at PIN Headquarters in Prague and participation in annual meetings n Prague
How to apply
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter (no more than 4 pages) via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).