Country Director - Syria Response
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12-18 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq with travels within the region
Line Manager:Regional Director for the Middle East
About the role:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
Country Director (CD) is the main representative of PIN’s Syria mission, responsible for strategic leadership and overall country programme development. CD plays a key role in representation of PIN’s Syria mission in front of government officials, donors and non-governmental organizations. CD supervises Head of Programmes, Head of Systems & Operations, Field Coordinators for Northwest and Northeast Syria, Security Advisor, Area Coordinators in the field and Communications & Advocacy Officer.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Represents PIN in established coordination and networking fora and ensures development and maintenance of good relationship with governments, local authorities, donors and other national and international humanitarian organizations;
- Sets strategic priorities for PIN’s Syria mission, and supervises the Country Management Team (Head of Programmes, Head of Systems and Operations, Field Coordinators and Security Advisor) with the support from HQ (Regional Director and Desk Officer);
- Oversees and provides guidance to the Head of Programmes and programme teams in design and management of PIN’s programmes in country, ensuring they are in line with PIN’s policies, including Relief and Development Department Strategy and Syria Country Programme Strategy;
- Together with Head of Systems and Operations ensures that systems and procedures to support the programs are in place and effectively functioning;
- In consultation / coordination with HQ, plans HR needs of the mission to ensure adequate capacities and structures to deliver high quality programmes are in place;
- In cooperation with Security Advisor, ensures that all security management plans, and security and safety rules (SOPs) are in place and followed;
- Engages in humanitarian advocacy initiatives and policy dialogues where appropriate and oversees internal and external communication.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization in a senior management position;
- Strong leadership and staff management skills, with a record of managing large and diverse teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts; familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East would be an advantage.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies, expected salary 4,200 EUR (before taxation, per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to Apply:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.