Desk Officer for Asian region
People in Need is a non-profit organization in Central and Eastern Europe active in humanitarian and development aid, human rights and social inclusion. In 2020, more than 1300 employees worked in our Humanitarian and Development Section in 20 countries (Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe). Our growing team in Prague (with turnover of more than 80 million EUR per year) is looking for a new colleague to become a Desk Officer for our Asian country programmes.
Starting date: March/April 2021
Location of work: Prague, Czech Republic with occasional trips to our missions
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension to open contract
You will become a part of the Asian team of Relief and Development Department in Prague. As a Desk Officer, you will be the closest partner of the Country Programme (CP) and together with its senior management team you will contribute to its proper management and development. You will support the project cycle management, help to ensure quality of the programmes and the collection of learning, will be in charge of project administration when needed and also cooperate on a country strategy and its fulfilment. You will be responsible for representation of the programmes towards partners, donors in the Czech Republic and Europe, as well as building partnerships and participating in the programme development. This might entail both participation in the needs assessments as well as in proposal writing for both the major donors such as EC, ECHO, USAID, but also new donors such as ADB, etc. You will participate in the staffing of the mission and you will be (in cooperation with CP management) responsible for its balanced economic management. For your colleagues at CP level, you will be the main HQ contact, when coordinating the agenda, supporting of other PIN departments and connecting them with the program. Where relevant, you will participate in the updates of safety and security rules, and last but not least you will control that CP is in accordance with the internal rules and principles of the organization.
The allocation of the specific country programmes for this position is still open and will be determined within the recruitment process. Possibly it will be Mongolia and Nepal, but there might be changes.
For this position we consider important:
- Experience with project coordination, team work and/or leadership in the non-profit environment and abroad
- At least 3 years of experience with humanitarian and/or development projects
- Appropriate degree in either humanitarian aid or development is welcome
- Proven proposal writing and reporting skills, preferably with the humanitarian and development donors such as EC, ECHO, USAID, CZDA, etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with different groups of people and respect their different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to strengthen relationships with partners and donors in the Czech Republic and abroad
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Ability to organize your work independently and approach things positively even in situations where job requests are rapidly developing
- Experience with budgets, support and supervision in methodologies and evaluations
- Proactivity, analytical thinking, and ability to quickly learn the organization’s internal processes
- Interest or experience with the Asian region is very welcome
- Willingness to travel
What we offer:
- Background and professionalism of the Czech largest non-governmental organization
- Interesting and creative work with international reach (possibility to travel to our Country Programmes)
- Starting salary in the range of 34 000 – 40 000 CZK gross/month based on your experience and our salary scale
- People in Need is encouraging professional development and participation in trainings in Czech Republic and abroad
- 25 days of annual leave
- Home office
- Open and informal organizational culture
- Possibility to participate in interesting events we organize (e.g. One World international film festival)
- Friendly colleagues with similar values
- Dog friendly office
How to Apply?
Are you interested in this position? Great! Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).