Finance & Compliance Officer
People In Need (hereinafter PIN) is an international non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the values of humanism, freedom, equality, dignity and solidarity. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have a right to make decisions about their lives and to benefit from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. PIN has recently set up the UK charity PIN UK. PIN UK is looking to recruit a Finance & Compliance Officer to join its expanding team based in the London office. We can offer flexible working hours and some days working from home if needed.
Reporting to the Executive Director, you will assist with compliance and administrative support in all working areas. You will monitor the necessary policies and procedures that PIN UK must follow in compliance with UK law and regulations for charities. These include (but not exhaustively) human resources & employment, safeguarding, as well as financial & operational procedures (e.g. procurements, legal). In cooperation with relevant PIN international departments you will ensure that PIN UK policies and procedures comply, as much as possible, with those of PIN’s global programming.
This is an entry-level position that will benefit from coaching from PIN UK and PIN’s senior staff. The successful candidate will have experience of working within a compliance, finance or operational function and have working knowledge and understanding of the charity sector in the UK.
Key deliverables (essential duties and responsibilities):
- Use and manage the day-to-day operations of PIN UK’s financial, accounting and reporting system
- Responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data
- Support recruitment and human resources-related tasks
- Administrative office support, helping to prepare contracts and any local procurements
- Ensure an up-to-date archiving system of key finance and compliance documentation
- Support the development of contracts with partners (primarily PIN) for the implementation of overseas projects and monitor the implementation of these contracts
- Support the development of internal policies and procedures manuals and monitor their implementation
- Make sure that PIN UK complies with requirements for a Charity registered in the UK, other relevant laws and donor’s requirements
- Interpret and disseminate information about regulatory changes and adapt procedures, documents and compliance tools to accommodate these rule changes.
- Educate employees on not only the regulations, but also the impact on the organisation if these aren't complied with
- Perform regular compliance checks ensuring procedures are compiled with all tax payments made promptly and correctly and ensuring all forms properly completed.
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues and ensure that your findings are recorded and followed up with management so that issues can be rectified
What are we looking for?
- Experience of working in compliance, finance, operational and/or administrative roles (essential)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of working with people at all levels within and external to the NGO sector
- Ease with complex, technical regulations
- A keen eye for detail
- and perhaps most importantly - sound judgement - and the ability to solve problems and identify commercially viable solutions
- Experience of working in the non-profit/charity sector and UK Charity Commission requirements would be an advantage
- CA/ACA/ACCA qualified or equivalent would be an advantage
- Experience of payroll would be an advantage
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus national holidays
- Flexible working hours
- The employer will make its statutory contributions towards mandatory payment of national insurance and income tax (Pay As You Earn)
- Pension plan: the employer will contribute 3% of monthly salary (calculated based on pensionable earnings) towards pension
- Statutory sick pay, maternity/paternity leave and other statutory requirements as per UK employment law
How to apply:Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).