Head of Programmes in Afghanistan
Location: Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan with travel to Kabul and other field offices
Reports to: Country Director
Reporting lines: Program Managers
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistant in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 8 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
The Head of Programmes is responsible for overall programme development, implementation and management. S/he ensures timely and efficient programme delivery, and the quality of projects. S/he supports Country Director for implementation of results-based Monitoring and Evaluation systems. The Head of Programmes is also responsible for development of the programme strategy. The Head of Programmes represents PIN Afghanistan programs at appropriate fora and to relevant stakeholders including Government Authorities at national and provincial levels. Furthermore, the Head of Programmes actively engages in medium and long-term strategic planning for the mission. S/he ensures continuous quality improvement of programmes and contributes to a positive working environment for programme staff.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As an active member of the Country Management Team (CMT), ensure overall management of the Afghanistan Country Program in alignment with the Country Program Strategy, including compliance with internal and external policies
- Contribute to sound decision making to ensure the growth and development of the Country Program portfolio.
- Coordination and cooperation with project teams as necessary to ensure CMT and other decisions and information is communicated effectively; line management of project managers
- Ensure quality of implementation, including timely preparation and submission of high quality reports for various stakeholders including donors and HQ, budget spending oversight
- Work closely with the M&E department to ensure regular monitoring and evaluation in line with overall monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Work closely with the emergency team to ensure PIN retains its capacity to respond to emergencies; Support capacity building of cross-cutting issues including gender and protection
- Support and as required lead in project development that meets internal quality standards and aligns with donor strategy and guidelines, in line with country program strategy and existing and new partnerships
Human Resource Management
- In consultation with the Country Director, plan and lead recruitments for programs, identify capacity building needs for senior staff and ensure capacity building support is given through regular feedback, coaching informal/formal training
- Work closely with Security Department for application of the security SOPs in the field and ensuring humanitarian access through negotiations with all relevant stakeholders based on agreement with the Country Director
Representation & Communications & Networking
- Ensure that PIN is well represented and visible in the donor community, among key partners, and within coordination at national and provincial levels and at different forums including but not limited to the UN Cluster system; regularly communicate with HQ
Documentation and Learning
- In line with internal and donor compliance, support the quality documentation and information management of project information through PIN’s established information management systems, ensuring retention and dissemination of lessons learned and best practices
- University degree or equivalent in international development or related fields
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience of managing large scale development and humanitarian programs in conflict and natural disaster contexts, including team management in diverse international contexts
- Excellent understanding and experience of applying humanitarian standards and principles, including mainstreaming policies
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in development and humanitarian project proposal and report writing with experience with institutional donors
- Demonstrated capacity in Project Cycle Management including sound financial management
- Excellent understanding of humanitarian and development donors and UN and working experience of projects funded by ECHO, OFDA, FFP, PRM, DFID, USAID and UN systems.
- Personal integrity, value orientation, problem solving and results-oriented approach
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and time management in the environment of competitive priorities
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural sensitivity and social norms of the local context, management and leadership qualities
- Demonstrated high level of verbal and written English communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working in insecure, rapidly changing environment and experience of living in shared housing
- Knowledge and working experience in Afghanistan is an advantage
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization
- Salary according to PIN salary scale and HR policies,
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work and regional travel every 3 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line; travel medical insurance.
How to Apply:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please click on the orange button "Apply for this job" and fill the application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.