Head of Programmes - Syrian Response
STARTING DATE: ASAP
DUTY STATION: Middle East
REPORTING TO: Country Director Syrian Response
DURATION: 12 – 18 months
About People in Need
People in Need (PIN) is an international, non-profit organization providing humanitarian and development assistance in over 20 countries worldwide. Formed in 1992 in the Czech Republic, PIN has grown to be the biggest organization of its kind in post-communist Europe, providing relief where it is needed, and empowering civil society at home and abroad.
PIN draws on extensive past experiences and lessons learned across many emergency and post emergency contexts to design, implement and monitor quality programming; and has been active in Syria since 2012, across Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH, Education, and Capacity Building sectors, with a current annual turnover of approximately US$40m in cash and in-kind. Current and past donors include DFID, ECHO, EC, USAID-OFDA, FAO, WFP, SDC, German MFA, and the Czech MFA. PIN employs over 300 local staff and 15 ex-patriate Senior Management staff across Syria and Iraq, and implements programming through 7 offices in Syria.
For more info see https://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en/humanitary-aid/country/syria
Head of Programs work closely with CD on management and development of PIN Syrian response programs. Head of Programs is together with Program Managers responsible for PIN Syrian response efforts to develop and implement programs that contribute improved situation on the ground, achieve the greatest possible impact, and hold PIN accountable to beneficiaries, government, donors and partners. Furthermore, Head of Programs ensures quality of and synergies among existing and new programs, presentation of PIN programs and provide support and assistance in donor communication, liaison with government and external representation.
Head of Programs reports to PIN Country Director for Syrian Response. Head of Programs have delegated management responsibility for Program Managers/Coordinator. Head of Programs also works closely with Systems/Operations as well as Desk Officer, Relief and Development Department Management, sector specialists in PIN HQ (if any) and other key staff.
- Program support during all phases of PCM
- ensure quality of project proposals:
- provide support during project implementation
- ensure quality of external reporting
- Establishing strategic partnerships with selected partners
- Ensuring quality of PIN programs in Syria and compliance of overall strategy of PIN and specifically the one for Syrian response (if existent)
- advocate for and participate in starting formulating sector program strategies on HQ level
- take lead role in starting formulating program strategy for Syrian (using M&E results)
- set up monitoring & evaluation plan for each project with clear impact indicators involving independent M&E mechanisms
- ensure involving mainstreaming issues (gender, child labour, capacity building) into all phases of PCM
- ensure involving all key stakeholders into the project implementation
- ensure cost-effectiveness and transparency of PIN projects
- promote synergies among PIN programs, organize regular program management meetings
- consolidate PIN training section – especially improve coordination, exchange, coherent strategy in methodologies and community work approaches
- promote sharing of experiences and lessons learnt within the team and other missions
- Support establishment of management information system through M&E section.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security management priorities in close coordination of Security department and CD.
- Ensure that all the security recommendations made by CD and security department are fully adapted while implementation of activities.
- Assisstance to Country Director in representation of PIN programs in Syrian response towards partners and donors.
- Assisstance to Country Director in coordination with Financial / Admin / Logistics sections
- Assisstance to Country Director in staff management and capacity development
- Solid leadership and staff management skills, with a record of managing large, diverse teams and contributing to the capacity building of national and international staff
- Experience within the region and understanding of local dynamics highly preferred
- Experience with remote management is an asset
- Familiarity with conflicts settings, experience with working in insecure environments a significant advantage
- Strong critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Fluent English both spoken and written (Arabic is an advantage).
- Environment of well-established and growing organization
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line
- Travel health insurance
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense
How to Apply:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link . Please click on the orange button "Apply for this job" and fill the application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.