Head of Systems for Syria response
Position: Head of Systems for Syria response
Starting date: ASAP, 12 months with possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria
Base: Erbil, Iraq
Line Manager: Country director Syria response
About the mission:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full- time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
About the role:
In close collaboration with the Country Director, the Head of Systems (HoS) prime objective is to promote optimal and accountable usage of resources. Head of System is a member of Core management team (CMT). The HoS is coordinating support services and systems to ensure supervision of the country program so that PIN’s operations are characterized by quality, consistency, proper time management, best prioritization of issues and compliance in lines with PIN’s country, regional and global strategic priorities, guidelines and requirements.
The position is intended to focus on ensuring compliance with both internal and external rules and policies, improving existing structures and ensuring that policies and rules are applied and followed.
The HoS is expected to have senior level management experience and a demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization, be able to conceptualize and articulate PIN’s vision, and have strong verbal and written communication skills required to translate the vision into action.
The post holder will ensure that the organization has the required and effective management structure, resources and technical capacity to manage and implement PIN’s humanitarian programming in Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Together with the other members of the mission management, the position is responsible for the resource management of the mission, concretely:
- Managing the mission HR department in Erbil as well as provision of technical support and supervision of the logistics & procurement department in Erbil as well as the other mission hubs
- Oversight of field logistics & procurement systems, stock control and management, transport, communications, IT customs and clearance across the mission
- Ensure that PIN internal systems and procedures as well as country policies are introduced and adhered to, briefing and training all relevant staff as required;
- Ensure controls, risk mitigation and compliance procedures are in place and that PIN’s anti-fraud and corruption policies are implemented and adhered to;
- Coordinates external and internal audits, serves as major focal point for planning and conducting audits
- Responsible to ensure that recommendations for improvements (e.g. from internal as well as external audits) are implemented in a timely manner;
- Provide technical guidance to all support departments and functions, and sets up effective internal coordination among support departments and communication within as well as with the other departments of the country program;
- In cooperation with CD, manages risks and coordinate risk mitigation measures.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience (including 3 years at senior management level) in international emergency and/or post-conflict settings, preferably with displaced populations;
- Represent a strong management and leadership skills;
- Advanced qualification and significant proven experience leading two or more from the focused functions;
- Proven ability with respect to the management of large-scale country programs;
- Experience in remote management;
- Experience in negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors;
- Able to manage a large financial turnover and mitigate risk in a systematic manner;
- Experience of risk management including fraud mitigation and investigation;
- Experience in organizational development and implementation of policies regarding staff, code of conduct, anti-corruption measures and transparent management;
- Experience of working within a humanitarian and/or development organization, including in developing and delivering systems which are compliant to Europe Aid, DFID, USAID and UN procedures, is preferred;
- Working experience in the MENA region is preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills.
- Working experience with an accounting and economic software would be an asset
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary between 3600 and 3900 EUR according to experience (before taxation, per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus regional travel benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).