Head of Systems & Operations
Location: Sloviansk with frequent travels to Kyiv and Stakhanov (NGCA)
Starting date: January/ February 2019
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
People in Need (PIN) has been active in Ukraine since early August 2014 and the humanitarian programs have been rapidly expanding since then. Currently, PIN is one of the major humanitarian actors in Eastern Ukraine while providing neutral and independent humanitarian aid to conflict-affected people. The PIN representative office is located in Kyiv. PIN field office in Sloviansk functions as the main base for PIN's humanitarian operations in the government-controlled area and supporting office for the PIN field office in Stakhanov (Lugansk Oblast, non-government-controlled area). So far PIN has implemented number of emergency food, multi-purpose cash grants, NFI, Shelter, Protection, Livelihoods and WASH interventions and supported more than 2 mln vulnerable IDPs, returnees and host communities in both urban and rural locations. PIN's main donors in Ukraine currently include ECHO, USAID, DFID, GAC and Czech MFA.
For PIN’s activities in Ukraine, please see more at https://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en/humanitary-aid/country/ukraine.
About the role:
The Head of Systems & Operations (HoSO) is a member of the Country Management Team (CMT) and shares responsibility for the effective and efficient delivery of People in Need’s country programme.
In particular, the role of the HoSO is to manage and improve the support systems in order to achieve this objective comprising of Administration, Finance, Compliance, HR, Procurement and Logistics. In performing this role, the HoSO ensures an enabling environment for the implementation of the country programme, while maintain operations and systems that meet with the accountability requirements of People in Need, its donors and relevant laws.
The HoSO reports to Country Director. The HoSO is line manager to Finance Manager, Accounting & Compliance Manager, HR Manager, Procurement Manager, Logistics Manager, Deputy Director of Branch and Operations Specialist. The HoSO coordinates and communicates relevant finance and compliance issues with PIN donors, OCHA, Ukraine NGO Forum as well as with counterparts from other INGOs in Ukraine.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that Systems & Operations support the implementation of the Country Strategy and that procedures and regulations are implemented in full transparency and in accordance with donor requirements, PIN procedures and local law;
- Supervise operation of HR, Finance, Accounting, Compliance, Procurement and Logistics teams (approx. 50 staff in total) ;
- Ensure effective communication between support and programme departments;
- Ensure understanding and implementation of PIN RDD Code of Conduct and Key Policies by both expatriate and national staff;
- Provide guidance and supervision in enhancing quality of HR processes like recruitment and contracts termination, annual leaves coordination, performance evaluations, staff capacity building and duty of care to PIN employees;
- In coordination with Finance Manager, oversee the mission economy including coverage of operational costs, identification of financial and procedural risks, and implementation of relevant solutions ;
- Coordinate internal and external audits, due diligence checks and controls by Ukrainian authorities and is the main focal point for communication with them.
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills (knowledge of Russian or Ukrainian not required);
- Experience from international humanitarian or development organization;
- Solid experience with management of large team;
- Experience with HR management, including capacity building;
- Ability to deal with complex compliance agenda.
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies;
- Housing allowance;
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Coaching for managers;
- Security training;
- Office vehicle available for private trips;
- Medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online.
The position of HoSO is based in Sloviansk city in eastern Ukraine. Sloviansk (130.000 inhabitants) is safe and convenient location for long-term stay, serving as a base for many INGO humanitarian workers supporting the conflict-affected population. The city has plenty of restaurants, cafes and shops. In addition, fitness clubs, swimming pools, yoga studio, spa center and fresh market are available there. Various sites for daily trips like salty lakes, monasteries, wine factory or farm with horse riding can be visited during weekends. Sloviansk is family duty station.
HOW TO APPLY:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your resume and motivation letter in English via following link (for this vacancy we are not accepting any other application).