Logistics and Procurement Manager for Northwest Syria
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq
Line Manager: Field Coordinator/Head of Systems and Operations of Syria Response
About the mission:
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sectors such as food security, livelihoods, shelter, protection, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 400 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million across Syria and funding from humanitarian donors including ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
About the role:
With guidance and supervision from the Field Coordinator and Head of Systems and Operations, the Logistics and Procurement Manager will have a key role in leading the logistics and procurement teams in all of PIN’s areas of operation in Northwest Syria (NWS).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the overall operations of the logistics department, including compound management, fleet management, warehouses management, stock management and transportation of goods, procurement and supply chain management, assets management and administration, across all field offices in Northwest Syria (see details below);
- Implement and strengthen systems of oversight and prevention of corruption;
- Oversee logistics budgets, improve and contribute to planning of logistics needs for current and new projects;
- Be the technical adviser and take final responsibility for all logistical tasks related to program implementation;
- Ensure appropriate logistics training to Program Managers and coordinate regularly to stay up-to-date on the status of each projects;
- Oversee and manage procurement of goods/services, implementing centralised procurement system, following all relevant donor and PIN’s guidelines and procedures, and considering relevant corruption risks;
- On a regular basis audit the procurement system/processes in order to identify and address gaps and challenges associated with operations in the Syrian context;
- Provide detailed training and mentoring to NWS Programme Managers and Deputies, Operations Managers and Officers, and other relevant staff in procurement rules and regulations;
Stock, Asset & IT management:
- Ensure compliance with PIN procedures and policies in terms of stock management;
- Ensure compliance with each donors regarding asset procurement and management, be up-to-date on each donors’ guidelines;
- Oversees effective transport planning and utilisation of project vehicles as per the needs and the budget availability
Admin (premises management / communication):
- Warehouse: ensure each warehouse is matching PIN and donors’ requirements in term of conditioning, safety and security;
- Office and guesthouse: Ensure that the equipping and maintenance of expats residences and office is done in a timely manner.
- Communication: Supervise and control the use of communication equipment
- Ensure Line management of logistics staff in accordance with PIN HR policies and procedures, including recruitment and performance management
- Supervision and capacity building of national staff employed in the logistics and procurement department across all PIN’s offices in Northwest Syria;
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization at least 3 years;
- Proven experience in management of logistics and procurement departments at least 2 years;
- Familiarity with procurement and logistics guidelines of main institutional donors (USAID, ECHO, DFID, SDC, UN, etc.);
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong grasp of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, starting salary 2800 EUR;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).