Project Manager in the DR Congo
Starting date: May 2020 / based on agreement
Contract Length: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Job Location: Bukavu (40%) and project site (60%) within South Kivu or Maniema provinces
Reports To: Head of Programmes
Responsible For: 15-20 national staff, Consortium activities Coordination (2 INGOs)
Job overview:Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the timely, efficient and quality implementation of the project/s within one or two programmatic area(s) including direct/ remote field supervision. By supervising the implementation of results-based Monitoring and Evaluation systems, the PM actively contributes into the programme strategy and development of future projects. Upon the agreement with the Head of Programmes (HoP), she/he represents PIN at relevant clusters and internal/external meetings. Furthermore, the PM ensures continuous quality improvement of project/s and contributes to well-being of project staff.
Organisation context:People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world. Formed in 1992, PIN has grown to be the biggest organisation of its kind in Central Europe, providing relief where it is needed, and empowering civil society in the Czech Republic, Eastern Europe, Africa and Asia.
People in Need (PIN) has been present in the DRC since 2008. With its main office in Bukavu (South Kivu) and several field offices, we have been implementing projects focusing on nutrition, basic health care, food security, WASH, education and human rights in the provinces of South Kivu and Maniema.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees aspects of project cycle management, including planning, budgeting, monitoring, reporting, financial management, and cash flow planning. Engages in needs assessment / identification as the contribution to proposal preparation under guidance of the HoP.
- Continuous supervision and improvement of the project quality
- In cooperation with the HoP, follows all contractual obligations (project documentation + donor's contract)
- Ensures that Results-based Monitoring & Evaluation and Complaint and Response mechanism (CRM) are in place and functional in the project
- Produces project-related data inputs as well as outputs in close collaboration with the M&E Unit
- With the close support of the Head of Finance at the CP and under supervision of the HoP, follows up on monthly basis the direct spending of the project/s, including preparation of spending plans (forecasts) and money requests
- Prepares and ensures qualitative and quantitative information sharing during the monthly project planning and review meetings with the HoP.
- Actively participates in regular communication with the TAs and DO on programmatic discussions.
- In the case of PIN projects implemented in the partnership with other NGOs (Consortium), cooperates with all relevant partners and represents the Consortium
- Participates in recruitment process and manages human resources in line with the project logic
- Team leadership, including supervision and evaluation of the team. Direct management of Field Coordinator/s and supervision of coordinator’s project staff management
- Active involvement, under the guidance of the HoP, in the development of new proposals, in line with the PIN country strategy and PIN Relief and Development Department strategy
- Under the guidance of the HoP, participates in networking and coordination among donors and key stakeholders
- Collaborates with the Communication Officer, SDO and DO on Communication, Public relations and Strategy of the programme
- With the support of the HoP, maintains relations with all implementing partners inside the Consortium projects/s and represents the Consortium
- In close collaboration with the Security Officer and CD, reviews compliance with all security & safety rules and regulations set-up in the SOPs relevant to his/her project site/s
- In compliance with the security rules, PM is responsible of the security in his/her project at field level. She/He maintains the humanitarian access in the project area through active presence, discussions and negotiations with key stakeholders (e.g. humanitarian sector-related state authorities, local leaders, local administration…). PM works in close collaboration and with support of the Security officer and CD.
- Gathers and communicates main information related to safety and security in the area to PIN Security department, elaborates reports when needed/required.
- MA/Diploma in development/humanitarian field or relevant educational background
- A minimum of two years of overseas experience in relevant sectors (Nutrition, Health, Food security and /or WASH)
- Experience in humanitarian/development work required
- Experience in PCM, people’s management and financial management required
- Experience with coordination within consortia a strong advantage
- Experience with the donors such as ECHO, OFDA/USAID, DFID etc. a strong advantage
- Experience with working in insecure environments a significant advantage
- Experience with designing and conducting trainings an advantage
- Fluent knowledge of French and English required
- Familiarity with the humanitarian context in DR Congo
- Critical analysis and problem solving skills
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity, tolerance and acceptance of diversity
- Empathy with the organisation values and its approach
- Ability to quickly grow into new challenges, working within a close and supportive team
- Sound judgment, coordination and management skills
- Full Computer Literacy, advanced in MS Office tools
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
People in Need offers:
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest in Central-Eastern Europe
- Work in dynamic and motivated team
- Salary based on the PIN salary scale, experience and seniority
- Accommodation provided in the Guest House of PIN
- 25 days of holiday per year along with additional National Holidays based on the DRC Labour Law
- Twice a year 2 paid R&R leave days with extra contribution of 500 USD each
- Reimbursement of travel expenses for travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Travel insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation)
- Induction and training in Prague
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter in English via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).