Regional Security Advisor for Syria and Iraq
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria/Iraq
Base: Erbil (Kurdistan Region of Iraq) with travel within the region
Line Manager: Country Director – Syria & Iraq Response
About the Programme:
People in Need (PIN) delivers assistance in complex environments in Iraq and Northern Syria, addressing the needs of IDPs and host communities in several sector such as food security, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 400 employees.
The scope of the role is to provide analysis, coordination, and support to the Country Director (CD) and Area Directors (ADs) on managing key safety and security hazards within a large operational humanitarian programme. The candidate is expected to provide balanced and well-informed analysis to complement local perspectives and to ensure risks are identified, mitigated and monitored. The role requires working across a large team and the candidate will be required to show excellent communication and relationship-building skills, working proactively under a remit agreed with the Country Director.
This role is part of the Country Management Teams for both Iraq and Syria. Regular travel within the region subject to Covid-19 restrictions.
In the event of a major security incident the candidate will provide advice and support to existing management structures, utilizing expert understanding of the context as well as PINs procedures and principles.
Duties and responsibilities:
Provide timely, accurate and balanced analysis and advice (30%)
- Develop and maintain excellent understanding of national and regional developments in the political and socio-economic context. Highlight relevant trends or events to Country Management Staff.
- Provide advice to the Country Director and Area Directors on the (potential) impact of these trends on operations and programming
- Assist hubs with analysis when considering any strategic changes in programming which present complex environments, such as moves to new areas of operation.
- Assisting in crisis response where required.
Developing and reviewing safety and security documentation (30%)
- Ensure the completion of required safety and security documentation, including security management plans, checklists, and SOPs.
- Help to formulate and review SOPs and contingency plans in coordination with other key staff
- To innovate smarter and more effective ways of managing security through the use of mapping and shared resources
- Carry out Security Audits to ensure adherence to regional and global PIN requirements.
- Review implementation of key policies and SOPs.
Capacity Development (20%)
- Provide training and support to staff on how to monitor, analyze and present trends effectively manner
- Work with hub-based staff to address any gaps highlighted in security audits.
- Monitor staff training and ensure new and existing staff meet organizational training requirements in the area of safety and security.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders – including other NGO safety and security focal points and those organizations providing relevant data and analysis.
- Participate in relevant safety and security coordination meetings at a country or regional level.
- Liaising with training providers for HEAT or similar.
- Liaising internally on budgeting for security/access
Other duties as required (10%) - Part of Country Management Team. Works closely with:
- Country Director
- Area/Deputy/Programme Directors
- Communications and Advocacy staff
- Finance staff (with regard to budgeting for safety/security related matters)
- Logistics staff (for movements)
- Hub-based security managers and access officers
Education and Experience
- A Masters’ degree in international relations/politics/development/similar and/or significant professional experience of contextual and political analysis
- Experience living in the MENA region and/or in complex security environments
- Experience working in a coordination role preferably in a large organization
Previous security management or NGO-based experience is beneficial but is not required
- An excellent understanding of the application of humanitarian principles of neutrality and impartiality in complex environments.
- Excellent data analysis skills
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). GIS/mapping skills a plus
- An independent thinker able to identify key trends with a fresh perspective
- Excellent written and spoken English. Arabic language skills are a plus.
- Calm and professional nature
- Clear verbal communication
- Desire to work in the MENA region
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship building skills
- Strong identification with humanitarian principles
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, salary from 3,600 EUR to 3,800 EUR per month (1,200 EUR monthly per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Travel benefits in the form of two regional flight tickets per year;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation allowance;
- Travel Insurance and 24/7 medical and psychological helpdesk.
How to Apply?
Are you interested in this position? Great! Send us your CV and short cover letter in English via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).