Security Advisor - Syria Response
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 18 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Erbil (Iraq) with travels within the region
Line Manager:Country Director – Syria Response
About the mission
People in Need delivers assistance in Northern Syria addressing the needs of IDPs and hosting communities in several sector such as food security, education and WASH. PIN is well-established organization with several field offices, direct implementation and more than 300 employees. Main office sits in Erbil and provides support services to field teams inside Syria.
Security Advisor is part of Syria Country Management Team (together with Country Director, Head of Systems & Operations, Field Coordinators, Head of Programmes and members of HQ Syria desk). Security Advisor reports to Country Director for Syria Response.
Duties and responsibilities:
Security Management Plans
- Oversee the country Safety and Security management process and ensure the implementation of the security management plan;
- Responsible for regular revision PIN’s Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans, and Crisis Management etc.;
- Supports implementation teams in creation of program specific security plans and procedures;
- Responsible for reviewing and strengthening security setup across PIN offices and implementation areas;
- Incidents and Crisis Management;
- Member of Incident Management Team;
- Responsible for security incidents follow up and lessons learned.
- Member of Country Management Team, leading body for due diligence and duty of care standards;
- Responsible for professional development of members of Security Department;
- Regularly facilitate meetings of security department and provide feedback;
- Maintain close cooperation with Programs and Support department;
- Ensure all staff have access to security policies/procedures and enhance their knowledge and attitude towards security management;
- Organize internal and external trainings and briefings for PIN staff and partners.
Analysis and Assessments
- Conduct contextual security assessments and analysis;
- Work closely with PIN security team and provide support and quality control of access assessments and necessary measures based on changed contexts;
- Provide regular risk/ threat assessments and propose the implementation of measures to manage or mitigate them;
- Regularly monitor ongoing threats and development and predict possible outcomes.
- Liaise with NGO Security Coordination agencies, Alliance 2015 and other partners;
- Establish and maintain information network to be able to provide verified information and early warnings;
- Regular reporting to Country Directors, HQ and Donors;
- Financial management of security budget.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
Education and Experience:
- At least two years of experience with security management in volatile contexts;
- Experience working in complex and challenging environments desirable;
- Previous working experience from Middle East contexts is advantage;
Skills and Personality Requirements:
- Rigorous and with high attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and prescience skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm despite setbacks, managing and meeting deadlines;
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness and willingness to travel to remote places in the field, maintaining good relationships with all members of staff;
- Full and clean driving license;
- Empathy with the values of People in Need;
- Fluent in English, Arabic would be a benefit.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected starting salary amount to 3,800 EUR (per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Travel benefits in the form of two regional flight tickets per year;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and a short cover letter in English via this link.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.