Security and Access Advisor
Duty Location Mazar-e-Sharif and Kabul, Afghanistan, frequently travel to other operational areas based on security situation
Duration 6 Months with possible extension
Relationship The Security and Access Advisor is reportable to Country Director, Afghanistan. S/he will supervise one National Security Manager. The post holder will work together with senior management team in the country to ensure safety and security issues are managed professionally. S/he will have functional relationship with PIN’s global security advisor based in HQ.
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 8 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
Safety and Security Management:
- Oversee the country Safety and Security management process and ensure the implementation of the security management plan.
- Develop, review and update country Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and ensure implementations.
- Facilitate Risk and Threats Assessments and ensure the implementation of mitigation plans and measures.
- Ensure that safety and security reports and relevant information are analysed and shared across the team.
- Develop the capacity of National Security Manager and Security Coordinators so that they can work independently with minimum guidance
- Develop, review and update Incident Management protocol and take active role in management of incidents if occurs.
- Provide technically advice on the procurement of safety-related equipment, facilities and other resources.
- Represent PIN in various security coordination meetings organized by INSO, UN, Donors and other organizations.
- Develop, review and continue update PIN Afghanistan access strategies in collaboration with National Security Manager, Coordinators, Project/Program Managers and other similar organizations.
- Support in development and implementation of access tools, training and orientations for safe delivery of activities.
- Work closely with PIN team and provide support and quality control of access assessments and necessary measures based on changed contexts.
Training and capacity Building
- Plan and implement safety and security related training for PIN team in Afghanistan
- Regularly facilitate meetings of security department and provide feedback
- Continue guide and coaching the security and safety team
- Ensure all staff have access to security policies/procedures and enhance their knowledge and attitude towards security management
To be successful in this role the applicant will fulfil the following criteria:
- Minimum 2 years of security management experience with INGO in a challenging security context. Working experience in Afghanistan is an advantage.
- Working experience in fragile countries and hostile environment
- Demonstrated experience of working in multicultural diverse team
- Proven capacity to develop and implement context based safety and security protocols and systems;
- Demonstrated capacity in information gathering, analysis and report writing
- Proven ability to carry-out quality assessments on access and security issues
- Knowledge and experience with incident management
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate training programs
- Full professional proficiency in English. Knowledge and understanding about local languages is an advantage
- Proven ability to gender analysis and look the safety and security issues through gender lenses
- Leadership: You take initiative, continue search innovation and influence others
- Result orientated: You ensure achieving results with efficiency
- Integrity: You perform according to PIN’s vision and values
- Cooperation: You engage various internal and external stakeholders and value their feedback
- Communication: You are an active listener and speak effectively
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization
- Salary according to PIN salary scale and HR policies,
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- Performance related bonuses paid twice yearly, offering up to one-month additional salary based on performance;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work and regional travel every 3 months of completed work
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line; travel medical insurance.
How to apply:
Kindly send us your cover letter and an updated CV in English via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.