Senior Software Developer
Position: SENIOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Duty location: Prague, Czech Republic, remote
Starting date: ASAP
Contract length: one year with the possibility of extension
Line Manager: Head of Humansis / Head of DSU
About People in Need:
People in Need is one of the largest non-profit organizations in Central and Eastern Europe active in humanitarian and development aid, human rights and social inclusion. In 2022, more than 2000 employees worked in our Humanitarian and Development Aid Section in 25 countries (Asia, Africa, Middle East and Eastern Europe).
General Post Description:
PIN looks for a motivated colleague to help us develop and implement Humansis software across Ukraine or Syria. The Software Developer will cooperate with the PIN team providing humanitarian aid on the ground and with Humansis project managers and developers based in Prague. This role is ideally open for developers in Prague or refugees from Ukraine currently living in Czech Republic. However, the duty location is not exclusive to Prague and we can consider a full remote option for highly skilled applicants.
Humansis is a unique web-based application developed by People in Need in cooperation with an external software development company with a vision to improve the speed, efficiency, transparency, and accountability of humanitarian aid delivery. It provides an open-source and secure data platform for humanitarian needs, such as storing demographic data and targeting aid according to vulnerability criteria. The system also provides digital services for the delivery of cash, goods, and e-transfers (e-vouchers, mobile money, etc.). It includes extensive mapping and advanced reporting functionalities.
Scope of tasks and responsibilities:
- Independently implement user stories’ requirements into functional output
- Closely cooperate with the team of developers and project management team
- Be technical lead for junior developers / interns in People in Need
- Participate in Agile Ceremonies (Stand-up, Planning, Grooming, Demo, Retro)
- Identify improvements of the system from a user perspective and participate in making sure these improvements are addressed in the system
- Support (L3) Ukrainian or Syrian Humansis users and troubleshoot their issues
- Work on integration with other systems (Kobo ToolBox) in the organization
- Other tasks assigned by employee’s Line Manager corresponding to actual needs of PIN, and projects.
- Understand and adhere to the PIN National Staff Handbook, PIN Code of Conduct and Key Policies and relevant guidelines
Principal Competencies Required:
Essential experience & knowledge:
- Proven 3-5 years of development experiences
- Full stack knowledge
- PHP Symphony
- Object-oriented programming PHP 7+ must
- Design patterns
- Self-Documenting code
- Knowledge of SQL / MySQL - at least 5.7+
- Experience with Version Control preferably - GIT, Gitlab
- Experience with technical leadership of junior developers, facilitation of back-end/front-end tasks division
- Fluent/advanced English
- Czech language is an advantage
- Experience with Back-end/Front-end architecture
- User experience with JIRA/Confluence (Atlassian stack)
- University degree in IT (BSc) advantage
- Experience with Agile/Scrum IT delivery process
- Experience with Python is advantage
- Strong analytical skills and creative problem-solving skills
- Good orientation in how software and operating systems work
- Excellent listening and questioning skills, combined with the ability to interact confidently with clients to establish what the problem is and explain the solution
- Ability to prioritize workload and work under strict deadlines
- Methodical, thorough and attentive to detail
- Interest in innovations and technical solutions in the humanitarian sector
- 25 days of paid leave annually; 3 sick days
- Laptop for work (also for personal use)
- PIN covers costs related to travelling abroad such as flights, accommodation, medical check-ups, vaccinations, travel insurance etc.
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance;
- Relatively flexible working hours
- Access to internal e-learning and webinars
- Language courses
- International online induction for all the new staff (HQ + country programmes of RDD)
- Diverse work with an international dimension that makes sense and has visible results
- Work with inspiring people, in a pleasant environment of the largest Czech non-profit organization in the center of Prague
- An open and informal organizational culture without a dress code, where we all relate
- Opportunity to participate in interesting events that we organize
- Extensive Capacity Building program – internal and external - Induction training, internal e-learnings, Knowledge and Learning Department onboarding, eventual HEAT Training, Humentum trainings (www.humentum.org ), PuntoSud trainings (https://academy.puntosud.org/courses)
- Personal and professional development
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via our application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).