Shelter Programme Manager
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Kobane, Syria with travels within the region
Line Manager: Field Coordinator
About the role:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full- time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
With guidance and supervision from the Field Coordinator and other senior management staff, the Shelter Programme Manager will have a key role in leading the Shelter teams and ensure technical quality and implementation of shelter programming in all of PIN’s areas of operation in Northeast Syria. The Shelter Programme Manager will be responsible for the implementation of Shelter activities as part of a large consortium programme funded by USAID.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s Shelter/NFI programming in Northeast Syria;
- Provide technical guidance to the Shelter teams in Shelter/NFI programme design and implementation;
- Promote synergies and standardization across all Shelter/NFI partners and consortium members;
- Develop and maintain an emergency response plan for the Shelter sector – coordinate with relevant stakeholders on rapid response to emerging crises;
- Participate in data/information collection, and contribute to Shelter and multi-sectoral proposal development;
- Contribute to development of PIN’s Shelter Country Strategy, and update it regularly as needed;
- Provide inputs to, and advocate for, mainstreaming of Shelter principles into proposals and interventions;
- Provide technical guidance on planning of assessments, and participate in Shelter assessments as required;
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator, Head of Programmes and M&E Manager to ensure that all Shelter activities are being appropriately monitored, evaluated and feedback reflected in ongoing programming;
- Work closely with other Programme Managers to identify possible synergies and enhance relevance, cost-efficiency and impact of PIN’s humanitarian programming;
- Participate in identifying opportunities to increase scope and quality of PIN’s Shelter programming;
- Ensure timely and quality internal and donor reporting for Shelter programming;
- Maintain up to date knowledge of Shelter/NFI issues in Northeast Syria, and share this information with senior management, relevant coordination groups and other actors;
- Represent PIN at national level in Shelter Cluster, as well as other Shelter related meetings, and establish strong links with all Shelter actors and stakeholders; respond to requests for information from Shelter Cluster and related sub-clusters;
- Maintain close collaboration and good relations as required with donors and other partners;
- Represent the department during donors’ visits, prepare the agenda of the visits;
- Work to increase the profile of PIN as a Shelter actor in Northeast Syria;
- Ensure that Shelter/NFI activities are adequately budgeted for in preparation of budgets and proposals;
- Follow up on spending across Shelter/NFI component to ensure accurate and timely expenditure;
- Follow up on procurement and logistical aspects of programmes to ensure Shelter activities are well planned and managed in accordance with PIN’s and donor policies and guidelines;
- Direct line-management and capacity building of at least 8 national colleagues;
- Travel to project sites regularly to ensure effective and efficient implementation of projects, and standardization of activities across offices.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- At least 3 years of professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in Shelter programming;
- Familiarity with Shelter technical guidelines of institutional donors and regional shelter cluster guidelines;
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected salary 2,600-2,800 EUR;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Kindly send us your CV (no more than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please click on the orange button "Apply for this job" and fill the application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.