Communications Specialist - PIN Volunteer
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech nonprofit, non-governmental organization that has been implementing relief and development projects in crisis regions around the globe and has been supporting human rights and democracy in countries repressed by totalitarian regimes over its twenty-year history. In Cambodia, People in Need (PIN) has been working in Cambodia since 2008. PIN operates programs in Livelihoods, Climate Change and Disaster Management, and Emergency Response.
As part of its emergency response operations, PIN is soon to implement a project in Phnom Penh to support resilience of vulnerable populations to Covid-19.The project “Integrated Covid-19 response in urban settings” is a 3-year multi-sectoral project funded by the EU and implemented by People in Need, STT, and UPWD. The overall goal of the project is to contribute to strengthened social protection, economic recovery and COVID-19 adaptation of urban poor communities in Phnom Penh. The project includes WASH, Protection, Advocacy, and Livelihoods components.
Reporting directly to the Communication Manager, the communications specialist will work 60% of her/his time in a dynamic team to support the implementation of a Covid-19 awareness raising campaign on social media. The remaining 40% of the communications specialist time will be dedicated to support the communication component of other PIN Cambodia Projects, such as Climate Change Adaptation, Green Energy, TVET, and Sustainable Livelihood initiatives.
Position: Communications Specialist (full-time position)
Line Manager: Head of Programmes
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia, with occasional local travel to provinces.
Duration: 1 year with the possibility to extend based on performance
- Development and management of a Covid-19 awareness raising campaign on Social Media, including Facebook;
- Keep up-to date with all Covid-19 related information, and ensure that all messaging disseminated via People in Need’s campaign is aligned to WHO and MoH recommendations;
- Support project partners in their communication campaigns if required;
- Keep track of all the consortium’s communication campaigns and update the Programme Manager accordingly;
- Support other PIN departments with Communication and Media if necessary;
- Support the Communication Manager in ensuring that all PIN representation on media is sound and appropriate;
- Tracking of social media outreach and achievement of related indicators
- Ensure that all messages disseminated during the communication campaigns are aligned with humanitarian standards and with People in Need’s vision and standards
- Writing communication messages for multiple audiences.
- Writing and collecting stories, pictures and videos covering PIN’s activities in coordination with PIN staff and media service providers in Cambodia
- Creating and updating information materials (brochures, leaflets, annual reports, etc.) about PIN’s work in collaboration with project teams and ensuring they are in line with PIN’s Graphic Standard Manual.
- Networking with journalists and actively pitching stories to national news outlets and journalists, providing information about the programs and coordinating between the media and project staff, and accompanying journalists (national and international) on field visits
- Managing PIN Cambodia’s social media platforms, particularly Facebook, by creating and sharing engaging content regularly
- Contributing to advocacy, campaigning, awareness and communication materials of PIN Cambodia and PIN HQ.
- Creating PIN visibility materials such as t-shirts, banners and publications while ensuring they comply with donor requirements (i.e. disclaimers, size and type of logo, etc.) in collaboration with project staff and logistics department.
- At least 1 year of experience in a similar role working for an INGO/LNGO;
- Positive attitude;
- Problem solving and analytical skills;
- Past experience working in Cambodia desirable;
- Strong spoken and written English skills; Khmer language is an asset
- Strong team-working skills;
- Experience writing scripts is desirable
- Demonstrates excellent ability to write, take photos and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism
- Experience in managing social media, preferably Facebook
- Growing experience in public relations, communications or using basic advocacy tools
- Ability to outsource graphic designers or videographers
- Background of a well-established organization
- PIN Volunteer position with great opportunity to learn and grow
- Per diems 1,350 USD monthly
- Housing allowance
- Medical travel insurance covered
- Medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Robust and thorough online induction training (2 weeks)
- Opportunity for learning and professional growth
- Perspective of other work opportunities within PIN after this volunteering
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter in English via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).