Technical Advisor for Plastic Waste Recycling – Afghanistan
Location: Remote support, with trips to Mazār-i-Sharīf, Afghanistan
Duration: Initial period of 4 months with possibility of extension and further cooperation
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistant in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 7 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long-term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN supports community-based approaches and maintains considerable field presence in Afghanistan. This approach is a core part of PIN, in order to ensure that our programming remains relevant and appropriate, and field exposure will form an important component of the work of all international staff.
Technical Recycling Specialist will become a member of the team of specialists supporting the “Recycling Plant Value Chain in Northern Afghanistan for Sustainable Jobs Creation Program”, which has the objective to facilitate job creation nd income generation along a plastic waste (PET bottles), The support to the Program will include in-country visits as well as remote support based on the situation and needs of the Program, as defined in consultation with Programme manager. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Party/Project Manager, the Technical Recycling Specialist will be responsible for tasks specified below.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Activities required before construction of the recycling facility:
- Prepare the technical and technological plan of the Recycling Plant site, drew the layout of the equipment and process workflow,
- Assist in the creation of complete drawing packages together with Civil Engineer, including detailed specifications, bill of quantities , etc.,
- Ensure all necessary environmental protection measures are considered, especially waste water treatment,
- Ensure compliance with Afghan law and regulation and assist in preparation of necessary licensing documentation.
- Preparation of the technical part of the tender for procurement of recycling equipment based on planned capacity,
- Participate in tender review committee to evaluate received application and approve selection of equipment.
Installation of equipment and ongoing advisory support:
- Oversee the delivery of Recycling Plant machinery and its installation.
- Provide technical guidance and training for team that will operate factory,
- Review operation of Collection Hubs and ensure understanding of on time supply of raw material to the recycling factory,
- Advisory support on the production process, machinery, and product development for the Business Hubs
- Manage the pilot phase of plant operations, and responsible for plant technical set-up and maintenance.
- Sound technical skills, experience and orientation in raw plastic waste collection systems, recycling and processing of plastic waste (especially PET), machinery and equipment selection and procurement, environmental compliance, and recycled plastic product development in the context of the developing countries
- At least 3 years work experience providing technical support (including training) to plastic recycling initiatives in the developing world
- Experience working in and supporting waste management/recycling initiatives in South/Central Asia is an advantage
- Willingness to travel to project sites within Afghanistan (if security situation allows) for a minimum of 2 months
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian and development organization;
- Flexible and challenging working environment with room for personal growth;
- Salary of 4,000 USD per full month of work;
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense;
- 25 days of paid leave annually plus 15 days of R&R, depending on the length of contract
- Reimbursement of cost of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel medical insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).