MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Manager, Moldova
Post Title: MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Manager
Type of Appointment: Contracted Staff
Duty Station: Chisinau, with occasional travel to PIN field locations
People in Need (PIN) is a non-governmental, non-profit, international organization founded in the Czech Republic in 1992. From 2009 onwards, PIN has added development programmes to its work in Moldova, building a vision and practices that keep people and communities at the centre of our work.
Throughout its presence in the country, PIN has been contributing to the development of following sectors: Sustainable Livelihood and Environment, Social Inclusion and Protection, Good Governance.
Summary of duties
The MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Manager is responsible for the overall coordination of all MEAL related processes and activities across PIN’s Country Programme in Moldova; lead the MEAL department in developing quality MEAL related deliverables in compliance with donors’ guidelines and PIN’s internal guidelines. The lead role and responsibilities in MEAL will be performed in close collaboration with the country-based and HQ based key staff and will work under the strategic guidance of the Country Director.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the supervision of People in Need Moldova Country Director, the MEAL Manager will be responsible for:
Lead the monitoring, evaluation duties and assist-in in accountability and learning processes at the Country Programme:
- Set up an adequate monitoring and evaluation system applicable for the whole Country Programme and particular projects.
- Provide MEAL related inputs to project proposal, review the logframe/Theory of Change (ToC), the logic of intervention and MEAL related budget.
- Plan, prepare, organise and conduct monitoring and evaluation activities for all projects (including and where relevant routine/random monitoring activities, baseline and end-line studies, Post Distribution and Post Intervention Monitoring, mid-term and post-project evaluation etc.) and provide support to external evaluators as required.
- Support Country Director, program/project teams in developing accountability mechanisms, including the Community Feedback and Response Mechanism (CFRM) and assist in analysis.
- Analyse existing monitoring and evaluation tools and generate new ones if need arises.
- Help design and review data collection/tracking tools/formats/databases to ensure data quality, reliability and consistency throughout project implementation. Conduct data and feedback analysis, secondary sources overview when adequate and prepare adequate reports.
- Support project staff in needs assessments studies; assist in designing the tools for needs assessment and support in carrying out quantitative data collection exercises.
Establish appropriate MEAL structures; verify, consult, participate and assist in establishing the division of roles at the Country Programme in Moldova between MEAL and other staff. Lead the MEAL processes and manage staff in tasks related to MEAL:
- Manage and supervise MEAL team at the Country Programme to ensure they deliver on all internal and external MEAL requirements in a timely manner and with high quality information.
- Review existing structure dedicated to MEAL; set objectives for the employees; assess the workload and performance of MEAL employees.
- Facilitate recruitment of staff dedicated for MEAL processes.
- Carry out other duties assigned by direct supervisor.
- Provide capacity building support on key aspects of programme planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting to M&E Officers to promote professional development, identifying opportunities for relevant trainings to be provided by third parties.
Knowledge/experience, qualifications/skills and abilities required
- The successful candidate will be able to work without direct supervision, pay attention to details and will exhibit personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility, respect for diversity, creative thinking and problem solving.
- Masters degree in social development, social studies or equivalent
- Experience in the NGO field with a focus on civil society development or emergency programs
- Minimum 5 years of management and/or MEAL experience
- Experience with transfer of knowledge, organizing trainings or mentoring
- Planning & Organizing – Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to explain and present complex information and prepare written documents/communications in a clear, concise style
- Ability to undertake regular field visits
- Teamwork – Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Computer literate
- Excellent command of English, Romanian. Very good command of Russian is a plus.
Reports to the Country Director based in Chisinau.
Period of Assignment
The expected start is as early as possible.
Salary Range and Benefits
Salary will be defined according to PIN salary grid, depending on candidate’s experience. Possibility of salary increase based on performance.
Benefits: State and private health insurance.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter in English (for this vacancy we are not accepting any other application) via this application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).