Desk Officer for Afghanistan
In Afghanistan, PIN has been active since 2001, responding to humanitarian needs and implementing targeted development programs. Today PIN activities are conducted from program offices in Paktya, Nangarhar, Samangan and Herat, as well as two central offices in Kabul and Mazar-e Sharif. The program is run by 3 expatriate staff and approximately 130 national staff members. PIN programs focus on infrastructure development through local governance, agriculture, urban poverty, and emergency relief, with support from a variety of key donors, including European member states, Czech Development Agency, BMZ, and USAID OFDA. PIN has a long-term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and natural or man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to support existing local governance structures and promote community based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
Starting date: ASAP
Duration: minimum1 year with possibility of extension
Location: Prague 2 with occasional trips to Mongolia and Afghanistan
You will become a part of the Asian team of Relief and Development Department in Prague. As the Desk Officer you will be the closest partner of the country program (CP) and, together with its leadership, you will be responsible for its proper management and development. You will co-develop the country strategy and oversee its implementation. You will participate in the staffing of the country program and you will be co-responsible for its balanced economic management. For your colleagues at CP level, you will be the focal contact for HQ, coordinating the agenda, supporting other PIN departments and connecting them with the program. You will participate developing and reviewing security rules, drafting new proposals and overseeing program implementation, building relationships with partners, experts and donors in the Czech Republic and abroad, and last, but not least, you will supervise CP compliance with internal rules and principles of the organization.
For this position, we consider important:
- Experience with project management and team leadership in non-profit environment, preferably abroad
- Practical experience with humanitarian and development programming
- Ability to communicate clearly and sensitively with different groups of people, respecting their varied cultural backgrounds
- Ability to strengthen relationships with partners and donors in the Czech Republic and abroad
- Experience with proposal development, reporting, monitoring and evaluation procedures
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Ability to organize your work independently and approach things positively even in situations where tasks are rapidly developing
- Experience with budgets, support and supervision in methodologies and evaluations
- Proactivity, analytical thinking, ability to quickly learn the organization’s internal processes
What we offer:
- Background and professionalism of the largest Czech non-governmental organization
- Interesting and creative work with international reach (possibility to travel to our country programs)
- Unique opportunity to work in a dynamic context including humanitarian and development dimensions
- Starting salary based on salary scale
- People in Need is encouraging professional development and participation in trainings in Czech Republic and abroad.
- Child day care for employees’ children
- 25 days of annual leave
- Home office
- Open and informal organizational culture with relaxed dress code
- Possibility to participate in numerous exciting events we organize
- Friendly colleagues with similar values
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).