Finance Manager for North-East Syria
Starting date: April 2023
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria
Base: Raqqa, NES
Line Manager: Area Director for NES
About PIN North-East Syria:
PIN has been working in North East Syria since 2016, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities and IDPs. PIN’s annual turnover in NES is around $15 million with offices in 4 locations: Kobane, Menbij, Raqqa and Derek. The major donors are: ECHO, European Union, BHA and SDC. The position is based at PIN’s office in Raqqa.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Responsibility for overall country program economy (preparation of operational budget and its regular update, cost allocation planning, proper budgeting, cash flow and cost efficiency monitoring, FX rate risk, etc.)
- Supervision of the compliance of the processes and documentation with donors’ requirements, PIN internal rules, local legal regulations (incl. taxes) and administrative measures
- Ensuring that PIN accounting practices, financial and administrative procedures and processes are in place (incl. proper documentation archiving)
- Overall responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data
- Approval of contracts, invoices, authorization of payments
- Responsibility for the financial and project reporting to the donors and PIN HQ
- Local finance team management (approx. 7 national staff based across offices in NES) and its continuous capacity building based on personal development plans developed and updated with the national staff
- Ensuring team capacity is built and local staff in NES are developed ensuring roles and responsibilities of individual staff match their level of seniority ensuring effective delegation of tasks to the appropriate levels and offices and balancing the workload within the team.
- Working closely with Program Managers and Head of other support departments on project financial management and other related financial issues, capacity building of the program/support teams in project financial management
- Ensuring financial and compliance management of PIN implementing partners (including assessment of potential partner organizations, partner budgeting, training and regular monitoring)
- Responsibility for correct use of financial/administrative management systems and provision of training and support to all staff
- Key role in annual and project audits
- Experience of remote management desirable.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- University degree preferably in Finance or related field; or long-term experience within NGO sector finance department
- At least 2 years of experience in the position of Finance Manager or similar position;
- Experience with finance management of projects funded by international donors; experience with reporting to ECHO, EC and BHA
- Experience with team management and supervision; strong ability and willingness to transfer knowledge, delegate tasks and build capacities of national teams;
- Ability to plan effectively; organized, responsible and systematic;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of double-entry accounting;
- Work experience with an accounting and economic software;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of the Middle East, would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Raqqa.
- General security in Raqqa is considered stable, there is a potential for more or less good social life with a number of pre-approved restaurants and shops and growing expat community. The recent events in NES did not affect Raqqa and Raqqa governorate directly, however the security situation is reviewed on daily basis. Cellular services and internet coverage is widely available. There are number of health services available with a medevac mechanism for NGOs, plus MSF (or some other health org) is based nearby and can provide an assistance. There is reasonable access to most consumer goods. PIN has a new guesthouse to accommodate all the international staff with individual rooms being available.
- The position is expected to be able to travel to other PIN offices for visits to Derik, Menbij and Kobane
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected salary 4 050 EUR gross (before taxation, subsistence and hardship allowance included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus additional R&R benefits according to PIN's policy (additional 10 paid R&R leave days per annum and a contribution towards an additional quarterly flight for every 8 weeks spent inside NES)
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via our application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://www.peopleinneed.net/key-policies-4142gp).