Protection Programme Manager, Moldova
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of an extension
Line Manager: Head of Programmes
About PIN Moldova:
People in Need (PIN) has been working in Moldova since 2003, providing development support to the local population in three focus areas: agriculture and economy, social protection and inclusion, and civil society empowerment and engagement. Since the conflict in Ukraine escalated in February and brought the consequent displacement into neighbouring countries, PIN has been providing humanitarian assistance focusing on protection and cash transfers to host population. PIN has been implementing large scale multipurpose cash intervention reaching up to 40,000 people prior to the refugee influx and scaled up to extend the support to vulnerable families hosting refugees. Protection assistance focuses on psycho-social support for refugees and hosting population and support local civil society organisations who are working with refugees. PIN emergency programme portfolio in Moldova is currently funded by DG ECHO, WFP and PIN Public Appeal collection.
Under the supervision of People in Need’s Emergency Coordinator, the Protection Programme Manager will provide strategic direction and vision for the protection programme and will be responsible for project management of the protection programme of the refugee crisis response focused on psycho-social support to refugees and hosting communities. S/he will ensure the programme’s comprehensive development and high-quality implementation. S/he will also provide technical support and capacity development to PIN protection team including field staff. S/he will ensure PIN is represented at relevant protection coordination platforms, meetings and collaborative relationship is established with all key actors.
Reporting Relations & Interdependencies with Other Functions
The PPM’s line manager is Emergency Coordinator (EC), alternatively the Head of Programmes (HOP).
The PPM supervises the following staff:
- Protection officer and other protection assistants in Emergency Response Unit.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Guided by protection principles and best international practices, assess the protection programme concept and lead identification and adjustment of protection interventions, to ensure their high quality, appropriateness and comprehensiveness, in conformity the international standards and protocols.
- Validate and develop the short- and long-term protection strategy, based on field reality and new funding opportunities, while ensuring strong collaboration and coordination with other actors in the sector, especially cluster partners.
- Contribute to improving/developing PIN’s protection work through new project ideas, proposal development and networking;
- Ensure development and delivery of a mission wide protection training and knowledge building strategy and plan, including the development of standard training materials based on clearly defined standards and competencies.
- Continue to build the capacity of the PIN staff in protection-related issues, including accountability practices.
- Manage and implement all activities throughout relevant project cycles to ensure efficient and effective implementation of protection programme in line with PIN and key humanitarian and protection program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure project team and partner staff use the appropriate systems and tools to ensure relevance, efficiency and quality of programming.
- Develop implementation plans setting out future activities and track progress on outputs and activities.
- Manage the protection team and provide capacity building to staff under his/her management. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Contribute to recruitment process of protection staff
- Share technical know-how, provide technical expertise and guidance to project staff as appropriate and build their capacity in technical aspects of protection programming (e.g. deliver trainings and workshops, provide on the job couching etc.),
- Manage the budget related to protection and assist in the development of cash-flow projections and budget forecasting.
- Ensure all protection related project activities, procurement and spending are in compliance with both People in Need and donor rules and regulations.
- In cooperation with MEAL team, develop and regularly update the MEAL plan, ensure the protection activities learning and lessons learned informed by findings of needs assessment, surveys, and monitoring activities.
- Pro-actively coordinate with all project partners, local stakeholders, other NGOs active in the area, government authorities and media.
- Participate and contribute in the Protection technical working group and cluster meetings and reporting, represent PIN at protection coordination platforms and events.
- Identify, assess and strengthen partnerships relevant to protection programming.
- Ensure timely and quality donor reporting and external communication of the protection components of the projects.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts related to protection. Identify funding opportunities for protection programming and support project design.
- Build the capacity of other PIN staff in protection mainstreaming and accountability practices.
- And fulfils any other tasks as required.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience in protection programming and mainstreaming, preferably in an emergency context;
- Knowledge of international protection standards;
- Strong coordination and communication skills and ability to lead trainings and meetings;
- A proven record of effective project and people management;
- Full respect for client/organization confidentiality;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people with special needs and other vulnerability;
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- We are looking for nationals that have an entry-visa free regime with Moldova or nationals that already hold a valid a multientry Schengen visa
- Knowledge of Romanian or Russian is an advantage
What PIN offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems included): 2250-2400 € super gross ,depending on the seniority grade + 1200 € subsistence allowance/per diems
- Accommodation allowance
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work according to PIN's policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online;
- Travel health insurance and 24/7 medical helpdesk;
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Great. Send us your CV and short cover letter via our application form.
Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).