Systems Director, North East Syria
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Country Program: Syrian Response
Base: Derik, NE with regular travel across NE Syria
Line Manager: Area Director, Northeast Syria
About the mission:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities and IDPs. PIN’s contribution to the overall Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $40 million, of which around 40% is in North East Syria. The major donors are: ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID. The program in NE Syria currently has 4 operational offices in Derik, Kobani, Manbij and Raqqa with around 350 staff members.
General position summary:
Under the leadership of the Area Director, the Area Systems Director will supervise and provide leadership to the systems support team for the North East Syria program. The Area Systems Director is responsible for ensuring high quality support to a wide range of programing across emergency to early recovery contexts. The Area Systems Director reports to the Area Director for North East Syria and is part of the Country Management Team in NES. He/she has delegated management responsibility for Human Resources, Finance and Logistics and Procurement ensuring programs are fully supported and compliant. The NES Systems Director is supported technically by the Regional Systems Director based in the PIN HQ.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Line manage, direct and support NES Finance, HR and logistics and procurement Managers.
- Ensure Systems support programs ensuring effective, efficient and timely responses to needs in NES.
- Ensure that recommendations for improvements (e.g. from audits) are implemented in a timely manner;
- Ensure that key support policies are continuously updated as required and appropriated to the context;
- Ensure NES compliance check-lists are regularly updated and monitor the progress on the action points;
- Ensure procedures and regulations are transparent and in accordance with donors’ and PIN’s rules;
- Ensure standardization of processes/procedures across finance, HR and logistics departments;
- Oversee the NES hub economy together with the NES Finance Manager and the Regional Head of finance for Syria and Iraq including identification of gaps, financial and procedural risks, and provision of appropriate solutions;
- Oversee the HR department ensuring the implementation of relevant national and international staff policies including training for new staff, managing leaves, allowances and evaluations;
- Ensure adequate staffing of all supervised departments to achieve efficient delivery of the program;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the logistics team to ensure effective operations and coordination between the office management, fleet management, procurement, stock and assets management;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the finance team to ensure effective operations of and coordination between budgeting, drawing, and accounting;
- Ensure effective communication between support (finance, HR, log) and program departments;
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, rules and regulations.
Suitable candidate for this position should:
- Previous experience with managing systems, logistics, administration and HR and/or finance
- Experience with team management and supervision and interest in building capacity of local staff
- Experience of working within a humanitarian and/or development organization, including in developing and delivering systems which are compliant to EuropeAID, DFID, USAID and/or UN procedures.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English
- Strong coordination, organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills, resilience to stress
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Working experience with an accounting and economic software
- Ability to comply with strict Security protocols
- Previous working experience from Middle East, particularly the Syrian crisis is an advantage;
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (subsistence allowance of 1 200 EUR is already included): between 3 700 – 3 900 EUR gross depending on previous experience;
- Comprehensive R&R package granted for every 8 weeks spent inside NES including 10 days of R&R leave days annually in addition to the 5 weeks of regular leave granted annually. Additional 500 USD of leave allowance provided for every 10 weeks spent inside NES.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence twice in a year of completed work and in addition to that, an R&R flight provided twice a year. In effect, there is a flight covered by PIN for every 10 weeks spent inside NES.
- Housing in PIN guesthouses covered by PIN, each staff is assigned an individual room;
- Opportunities for further learning, trainings and capacity development;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure if relevant;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- This is an uncompanied position.
How to Apply?
Are you interested in this position? Great! Send us your CV and short cover letter IN ENGLISH via this application form. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).