Emergency/Shelter NFI Programme Manager
Starting date: February 2020
Contract duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Country Program: Syria Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq with potential relocation to Syria
Line Manager: Area Programs Director
About People in Need
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities and IDPs. PIN’s contribution to the overall Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million. The major donors are: ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
As People in Need’s Northern Syria portfolio continues to grow, PIN is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic humanitarian professional to take on the role of Emergency/Shelter NFI Programme Manager (ESPM). The ESPM will play a vital role within the Senior Management Team, leading PIN’s emergency programme team to deliver timely and appropriate emergency assistance to those most vulnerable. Managing an in-kind and cash-based emergency response portfolio covering WASH, Shelter sectors across OFDA funding, the EPM will likewise lead PIN’s contributions to a coordinated Rapid Response Mechanism under a large consortium grant with three other NGOs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s Emergency Response and Shelter NFI activities in Northern Syria;
- Provide technical guidance in Emergency Response and Shelter NFI programme design and implementation and support the development of relevant tools, SOPs and technical standards;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of implementation and emergency response plans;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of budget forecasts and monitor the spending;
- Review and approve key project documentation;
- Take a lead in implementing rigorous control mechanisms for emergency response and shelter NFI activities;
- Regularly liaise with the MEAL team to develop and update the MEAL plan, participate in the development and supervision of rapid assessments, monitoring surveys, evaluations;
- Ensure with the Area Program Director that the capacity of national staff and team resilience, to changing context and subsequent changes in management arrangements, is built
- Work closely with other sectors particularly FV, Cash and WASH to identify possible synergies;
Requirements and Contractual Conditions
Knowledge and experience:
- At least 3 year’s professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in humanitarian assistance in complex emergencies;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English, Arabic is a significant advantage
- Proven ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment, with appropriate sensitivity to social and cultural norms;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Erbil with week-long visits to Syria on a monthly basis.
- Erbil accommodation is in a PIN Guesthouse with individual guestrooms and shared bathroom, living room and kitchen. Individual rooms are also available in Syria in the office/guesthouse. All sites have internet.
- General security situation in Erbil is generally good and there is potential for a good social life with many restaurants, bars and gyms and a large expat community.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and PIN's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
People in Need offers:
- Salary as per PIN salary scale (per diems included): 2.900 EUR;
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to Apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).