Finance Manager for Northern Syria
Starting date: ASAP
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria
Base: Northern Syria with frequent travels to Erbil (KRI, Iraq)
About PIN Syria Country Programme:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities and IDPs. PIN’s contribution to the overall Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million. The major donors are: ECHO, OFDA, FFP, SDC and DFID.
It is intended that the position will be based in Northern Syria.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- In cooperation with the Head of Finance for Syria, responsibility for overall country program economy (preparation of operational budget and its regular update, cost allocation planning, proper budgeting, cash flow and cost efficiency monitoring, FX rate risk, etc.)
- Supervision of the compliance of the processes and documentation with donors’ requirements, PIN internal rules, local legal regulations (incl. taxes) and administrative measures
- Ensuring that PIN accounting practices, financial and administrative procedures and processes are in place (incl. proper documentation archiving)
- Overall responsibility for accurate, punctual and complete accounting data
- Approval of contracts, invoices, authorization of payments
- Responsibility for the financial and project reporting to the donors and PIN HQ
- Local finance team management (approx. 10 national staff based across offices in Erbil and Northern Syria) and its continuous capacity building based on personal development plans developed and updated with the national staff.
- Ensuring team capacity is built and local staff in Erbil and in Northern Syria are developed ensuring roles and responsibilities of individual staff match their level of seniority ensuring effective delegation of tasks to the appropriate levels and offices and balancing the workload within the team.
- Working closely with Program Managers and Head of other support departments on project financial management and other related financial issues, capacity building of the program/support teams in project financial management
- Ensuring financial and compliance management of PIN implementing partners (including assessment of potential partner organizations, partner budgeting, training and regular monitoring)
- Responsibility for correct use of financial/administrative management systems and provision of training and support to all staff
- Key role in annual and project audits
- Experience of remote management desirable.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- University degree preferably in Finance or related field; or long-term experience within NGO sector finance department
- At least 5 years of experience in the position of Finance Manager or similar position;
- Experience with finance management of projects funded by international donors; experience with reporting to ECHO, EC and USAID
- Experience with team management and supervision; strong ability and willingness to transfer knowledge, delegate tasks and build capacities of national teams;
- Ability to plan effectively; organized, responsible and systematic;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Knowledge of double-entry accounting;
- Work experience with an accounting and economic software;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of the Middle East, would be an advantage.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- This position is an unaccompanied position. The position is based in Syria. PIN has offices and guest houses across the Northern Syria. The location is perceived as less conservative, offering opportunities for a social life outside work hours. Location of the position may change as the security situation in Syria is fluid.
- In the field bases – living conditions are more basic with less opportunities and places to socialize.
- General security situation is good. Use of mobile phones is widespread. All PIN’s offices and guesthouses have internet. Health services are available with a medevac mechanism.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, expected salary 3,000 – 3 100 EUR (before taxation, per diems included);
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN's policy (a flight ticket and R&R expenses contribution is provided for every 10 weeks spent inside Northern Syria);
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to Apply?
Are you interested in this position? Great! Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).