Logistics and Procurement Manager for Northeast Syria
Starting date: ASAP (December 2019)
Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria Response
Base: Erbil, Iraq
Line Manager: Area Director for Northeast Syria
About the PIN:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $35 million, engaging over 400 full-time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
With guidance and supervision from the Area Director and Head of Systems and Operations, the Logistics and Procurement Manager will have a key role in leading the logistics and procurement teams in all of PIN’s areas of operation in Northeast Syria (NES).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development of the country program logistics strategy
- Oversee the overall operations of the logistics department, including compound management, fleet management, warehouses management, stock management and transportation of goods, procurement and supply chain management, assets management and administration
- Implement and strengthen systems of oversight and prevention of corruption;
- Oversee logistics budgets, improve and contribute to planning of logistics needs On the basis of logistics budgets, ensure effective and efficient use of funds
- Provide regular reporting to Area Directorr/Head of Systems and Operations, and coordinate closely with Logistics and Procurement Manager for Northwest Syria in order to ensure standardization of processes and procedures;
- Review the ongoing systems/procedures and suggest improvements;
- Overall supervision of all offices in Northeast Syria and Erbil;
- Be PIN representative in NES for Logistics and Operation NES
- Provide regular reporting to Area Director /Head of Systems and Operations, and coordinate closely with Logistics and Procurement Manager for Northwest Be in compliance in all aspects with PIN and donors rules and guidelines;
- Be HQ focal point for all Logistics and procurement related matters for NES.
- Be the technical adviser and take final responsibility for all logistical tasks related to program implementation;
- Ensure appropriate logistics training to Program Managers
- Handle the appropriate selection, installation, use and maintenance of program equipment;
- Develop and maintain good network of contacts to facilitate emergency responses;
- Oversee and manage procurement of goods/services, implementing centralised procurement system
- On a regular basis audit the procurement system/processes
- Coordinates and supports timely deliveries and distribution
- Provide detailed training and mentoring to NES Programme Managers and Deputies, Operations Managers and Officers, and other relevant staff in procurement rules and regulations;
- Together with the NES Programme Managers, ensure timely procurement of goods and services in a safe and cost-effective mannerOversee negotiations with local suppliers and contract management;
- Ensure the procurement plan is always up-to-date and encourage proper procurement planning;
- Ensure all procurement tools are updated on a monthly basis
Stock, Asset & IT management
- Ensure compliance with PIN procedures and policies in terms of stock management;
- Ensure PIN policies are matching donor’s requirements and adjust if this is not the case;
- Ensure compliance with each donors regarding asset procurement and management
- Oversee the monthly stock inventories and provide accurate and qualitative reports;
- Ensure that IT systems in all NES offices function smoothly to support office needs and that IT usage policy is adhered to.
- Oversees effective transport planning and utilisation of project vehicles Ensure proper training of the driver team and regular refreshing training on safety and security;
- Ensure PIN fleet monthly reports are provided in due time and high quality;
- Coordinate closely with Access team for border crossing matter.
Admin (premises management / communication)
- For any new rental contract, ensure close coordination with security Warehouse: ensure each warehouse is matching PIN and donors’ requirements
- Office and guesthouse: Ensure that the equipping and maintenance of expats residences and office is done in a timely mannerEnsure that rental payments are done on time
- Communication: Supervise and control the use of communication equipment
- Ensure Line management of logistics staff, including recruitment and performance management
- Supervision and capacity building of national staff
- Facilitate the communication within the logistics department as well as the other departments;
- Be responsible for the technical support of all logistics staff;
- Ensure adherence to PIN Code of Conduct and PIN Key Policies.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in management of logistics and procurement departments;
- Familiarity with procurement and logistics guidelines of main institutional donors (USAID, ECHO, DFID, SDC, UN, etc.);
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Strong grasp of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East, would be an advantage.
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization;
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, starting salary 2,900 EUR;
- Accommodation in PIN’s guesthouse on PIN’s expenses;
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN’s policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available online; travel health insurance.
How to apply:
Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV (no longer than 4 pages) and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).